Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 21:00:40 -0400
     I bought my ferrets from a pet shop in May 1992. They are both
male and were already descented and neutered obviously at a very
young age, since I was told they were approximately 6-7 weeks old
when I bought them. The pet store stated this is how all of the ferrets
are sold, and they get very few female ferrets because they are kept
for breeding purposes. I am very worried now because of the information
concerning the health problems that can occur with ferrets being
neutered and descented. One of my ferrets, Teebone is already having
problems. In April 1993 he developed an peri-anal abcess that the vet
treated with antibiotics. He said it was caused from a portion of the
scent sac being left while the ferret was descented. The abcess occurred
again in July and then most recently in September. Each time the antibiotics
help clear up the abcess. Teebone also gets a 104 degree fever with this.
The vet is going to look into this more thoughly since it is obvious that
it will reoccur. Any ferret owners have any similar problems? The vet is
talking of surgery which could leave the ferret with a problem of
incontinence. Why do pet stores do this to ferrets, especially when they
are so young and tiny? Does neutering also affect the growth potential
of ferrets? My ferrets are only about 2 lbs. each at one and one half
years of age.
                                            A concerned ferret lover
                                            Judy Gallipeau