From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:02:12 -0400
I've been disturbed by the tone of some of the discussions (brawls?) on the
FML recently about Marshall Farms and food choices. I've found myself getting
annoyed even at people I agree with.

Here are some guidelines on how to win your argument without being a jerk:

1. Don't call anyone a liar.
2. Don't assume or infer that you motives are better than someone elses.
3. Don't assume or infer that others don't care about their ferrets.
4. Don't refer to anonymous sources that have god-like superior knowledge.

I am not addressing these to anyone in particular.  If you get mad because
you think I am refering to you, count to 1,000,000 before you send a reply.

And please remember, the VAST majority of FMLers are relatively intelligent,
kind-hearted people who love their ferrets and want to do what is best for
them within their economic, social, and geographic means. I believe I am. I
believe you are too.

Linda

[Moderator's note: I think Linda's last paragraph sums up the FML pretty
well.  Since not all people are very skilled at stating an opinion in a
diplomatic manner I very much doubt most of the somewhat harsh-sounding
opinions are meant to hurt.  If it's an obviously hurtful statement I'll
remove it pending clarification, but I tend to give people the benefit of
the doubt.  I hope that readers here do the same.  The next post will test
this.  And this moderator's note is an example of questionable diplomacy.
BIG]