From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 16:17:36 -0400
** Stop ** Take a moment ** Write a note ** Mail a dollar **

I hope this report will inspire you to write encouraging e-mails, send
ferret gifts or supplies, contribute to paying expenses, or find some
other way to help.  These are wonderful people who are working hard for
the fuzzies we love.   Please read and get to know them.

Amanda Christmas                   Sandia Animal Clinic
   no e-mail address now           8914 Menaul Boulevard NE
NM Ferret Shelter and Rescue       Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112
2730 Morningside NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110
505-884-5333 or 505-837-2003

Being sponsored:  3                Adopted out:  3
Unpaid vet bills:  $40             Unpaid shelter bills:  $110

Wish List:
more ferrets in shelter, local ferret club, regional ferret show.

I wish we had more ferrets to adopt, so if anyone is traveling near a
shelter that would like to send us ferrets for adoption and is traveling
close to Albuquerque, New Mexico, contact me and maybe we can work out
something.  We have a waiting list of pre-approved adoptive parents but
no ferrets.

Trish Curtis, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Tad Jarrett, DVM
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter    210 N.W. 2nd Street
3801 Zion Hill Loop               Mineral Wells, TX 76067
Weatherford, TX  76088            817-325-2273

Branch shelter Carlsbad, NM, Eydie Fox, [log in to unmask]

The shelter is bursting at the seams with ferrets a the present time with
more fuzzies than I can count.  3 were adopted out this past month, but the
new arrivals far exceeded this number.

I lost Freya to Lymphosarcoma, she was a very special girl and dearly loved.
Another was lost to advanced liver cancer and owners who didn't care enough
to take get the treatment he needed.  He had to be put to sleep the day he
arrived.  It was the only thing the vet and I could do for him as he was
suffering and likely had been for some time.  His name was Chi.  I am sad
that I never got to know him.  I transferred an older girl to my other
shelter in NM since they haven't had ECE yet, and I didn't want her to get
it at 7-8 years of age.  That was hard for me too, but I know it's best for
her.

Several surgeries were done in the last month, all adrenals except for one
neuter.  I have two more adrenal surgeries scheduled for this Friday.  I am
also picking up another rescue Wednesday.  I sure hope s/he is healthy!
I've taken on extra work to help pay for all their needs, but that leaves no
time for other things (I haven't read the FML in 3 weeks or more).

The heat is awful here.  Since the number of ferrets is so high right now I
need to "expand the shelter".... What that really means is I need to devote
another room to the ferrets.  However, there is no AC in that room so the
shelter is desperately in need of a 5,000 btu (or larger) window AC unit.
The roof is in need of repair as well, in fact I simply need to replace it.
I am looking for metal roofing material at a bargain if anyone can help or
offer suggestions.

I'd also like to say *THANK YOU SPONSORS!!*

[Currently, I have several fuzzies looking for sponsors if anyone is
interested.]

Alicia Drakotes                   Dr. Donna M Harwood, DVM
    [log in to unmask]      Veterinary Housecall Services
Ferret Wise Rescue &              630 Court Street
    Rehabilitation Shelter        Keene, NH  03431
PO Box 561
Marlborough, NH  03455

Ferret Wise Shelter is now a critical care specialized facility.
Donations to the shelter are tax deductible.

Total ferrets in shelter: 14 in house + 22 in halfway house = 36

Permanent residents: 5 + 22     Being rehabilitated:  2
Adoptable ferrets:   4          Being fostered:  1 McKenzie - hooray!!!!!
                                                   well enough to travel
Being sponsored:  3             Needing sponsors:  1  June - hospice case
Needing surgery:  2             Needing vaccinations:  6
Ferret deaths:  2 -- 1 heart failure/1 lymphoma - bi-lateral adrenal
Adopted out this month:  1      Taken in this month:  2
Unpaid vet bills:  $325         Unpaid shelter bills:  $985

Wish List:  Totally Ferret food,  stamps,  nutri-cal

Troy Lynn Eckert,                 Dr. Larry Snyder
     [log in to unmask]     University Small Animal Clinic
Ferret Family Services            17th and Randolph
P.O. Box 186                        P.O. Box 4135
Manhattan, KS  66505-0186         Topeka, KS  66604
(913) 456-8337                    (913) 233-3185

Welfare ferrets/unadoptable/owners do what they can:  56

Wish list:
postage stamps (for sending informational materials out),
1 cc syringes, 5# Totally Ferret

Dayna Frazier, [log in to unmask]

Shelter is in the process of moving out of CA.  Only shelter and ongoing
care ferrets going with the shelter; ongoing adrenal studies continue and
"mystery cure" still holding despite moving stress.

Shelter ferrets being moved:  5
Permanent residents:  4            Adoptable ferrets:  1
Being rehabilitated: 2 adrenal ferrets plus Mittsie with a failed
                     immune system have been or are being rehabbed.
Being fostered: 17 semi-permanent fosters
Adopted out this month: 9          Taken in this month: 4
Unpaid vet bills: $750             Unpaid shelter bills: $275

Wish List:  Colloidal Silver from Silverwings, Amoxy powder, Paul
Mitchell's no-tears baby shampoo (the only shampoo used on fuzzies).

Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]   Dr. Mary Chavez, DVM
South Florida Ferret Club          South Kendall Animal Clinic
   and Rescue, Inc                 9501 S.W. 160th Street
P.O. Box 570927                    Miami, FL 33157
Miami, FL 33257-0927               305-238-2030
305-251-8647
305-378-0898 (fax)

Ferrets in shelter:  125    Number available for adoption varies

Wish List:
A/D, Gerbers 2nd stage Chicken or Turkey baby food, paper towels

Carolyn Kinsey, A.S.V.T.          Dr. Bill Wilhoit, DVM
   [log in to unmask]     BIJOU ANIMAL HOSPITAL
Ferret Rescue of the Western      2502 East Bijou
   States (Estab. 1991)           Colorado Springs, CO 80909
140 W. 29th St., Suite 191        (719)471-4457
Pueblo, CO 81008
(719)527-8004

Sorry we are behind on our statisics, but we would like people to know we
are still out here doing the job.  This past month was up and down
medically.  We lost one of our own ferrets to pneumonia and saved a second
one.  To save one does not spare the heartache of losing Snowflake who was
with us so long after being spared a life of endless breeding at a private
breeding facility.  She was in a box with 3 other intact females and a stud.
She had already had two litters and lost both due to crowded housing and
deplorable husbandry.  We had had her company for 5 years.

A tiny female was brought in for care by a neighbor who had purchased/rescued
her and her companion.  She was emaciated and unable to walk.  She may be
retarded as well, but knows how to give kisses.  She is now plump but walks
unsteadily and some days not at all.  She is a "wait and see".  Lucky came
in a bit too plump, but otherwise healthy.  Jonah has been here 5 weeks,
most of it in critical condition.  Sorry, but vets don't always do well by
these guys.  He was sick and had an infection, to be sure, but he did not
need two doses of cancer chemo without a diagnosis or abdominal surgery.  He
had both and then a stomach tube to feed him stuff that was way too rich and
gave him diarrhea and made him vomit.  Once extracted from the clutches of
the uninformed, we revised his diet, removed the tube (since then the other
GI problems went away) put in a catheter (which was never accomplished at
the vet) and began IV antibiotics and fluids.  We also had to transfuse him
to repair the damage of unneeded cancer cell toxins.  He has finally begun
to walk again, although still not normally.  We are keeping our fingers
crossed on him.

Lenny has been in and out of our care for several years.  He came a week ago
with a salivary gland cyst (neck way out to there and difficulty
swallowing).  He has both adrenal and pancreatic cancer and a serious
cataract complicated by glaucoma.  We have grown to love him so, and for
that reason have decided to give him peace from all is discomforts.  It's
part of what we do, to spare them suffering in whatever way is required.

Catana had cancer surgery about a month ago.  She has both liver and
pancreatic cancer and we removed one marble-sized tumor from the liver and
several nodules off the pancrease.  She made a good recovery but of course
she still has cancer.  We will try homeopathy to extend her life.  She is a
darling--so affectionate and a beautiful little silver mitt female.  She
will go home again on her special diet.

We hope people will find some of this more interesting than statistics, but
when it comes to dollars and cents, we will have to deal with the numbers.
We paid for all the surgeries and all the care of the above animals--some
for months and even years.  We receive about 10 cents on the dollar in
donations from owners and others.  I, myself, work two jobs to keep up.  We
received wonderful and welcome gifts from Gary Holowicki and Nina Janes in
the form of syringes and suggestions for hemeopathic diets.  We thank them
once again.

One last story, to conclude on a positive note: Mr. Ferret came into the
emergency hospital where I work.  He had a foreign object blockage and
needed surgery.  The $400-500 estimate was beyond the owner's means so the
shelter took over the case.  Because his vital signs were strong we
initiated fluids and laxatone therapy, but got no "results" for several
hours.  Surgery was scheduled and just as I went to get him to prepare him
for the procedure, he presented us with a large pile of poop and right on
top was a cherry pit.  His recovery without surgery was swift and he went
home the next day.  The owner had given him the cherry but was a new ferret
owner and is now a wiser one!

A word of CAUTION: this alternative therapy should only be used under
medical supervision as the animal must be closely monitored for
deterioration.  Surgery is usually the best option and must be initiated
rapidly.  Death from foreign object blockage is usually expected within 8-10
hours from ingestion.  After that, even if surgery is successful, organ
damage may be beyond repair.

Now selling Weezl Watchr Ferret Restraint Gates as seen in Modern Ferret

Chris and Shelley Knudsen,         Dr. Polly Lewis
   [log in to unmask]                 Hastings Animal Clinic
Legion of Superferrets of            2905 W. Hwy 6
   Nebraska Ferret Shelter           Hastings, NE  68901
614 N. Bellevue Avenue               402-463-9805
Hastings, NE  68901                  800-742-2697
402-463-0190

Total ferrets in shelter:  24       Permanent residents:  16
Sick or injured:  2                 Adoptable ferrets: 6
Adopted out this month:  3          Taken in this month:  5
Ferret deaths this month:  1        Unpaid vet bills:  $186

Wish List: Someone willing to donate the time (2-6 hours) and the gas to
picking up ferrets from out of town and bringing them into the shelter.
More hours in the day!!!!  : )

Lisa Leidig, [log in to unmask]   Dr. P. Fisher/Dr. H. Hulls
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater        Petcare Veterinary Hospital
2312 Starfish Road, #301          5201-A Virginia Beach Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23451          Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Adoptable ferrets:  4             Permanent residents:  5

Needing vaccinations:  4          Needing adrenal surgery:  1

the 5 permanent residents need sponsors

2 new ferrets in this month

Unpaid vet bills  NONE!! Hurray! caught up just in time for MORE surgery!

Unpaid shelter bills total $125.00

Wish list:
Fervac-D, Totally Ferret or Iams kitten and bowls/water bottles.

Karen Marsh-Lovvorn              Dr. Stephanie Dalyrmple, DVM
    [log in to unmask]               (shots/check-ups)
Rogues Gallery Ferret Rescue     Dr. Charles Ward, DVM
700 Whitby Court                     (diagnostics/advanced care)
Durham, NC 27703

Rogues' Gallery is still closed till this Fall, but we've taken in a few
emergency cases!

Wish List:
Nothing right now; will need a lot of stuff when we reopen this Fall.

Rogues Gallery continues to be temporarily closed.  Our house is up for
sale, and as soon as it is sold we will begin construction on a larger home.
Until the "big move", we act as an information & referral service, and take
in emergency cases (including animals from local shelters which will release
them to us).  Most ferrets remain in their current owners homes unless there
are extenuating circumstances & they need to be removed/placed immediately.
In that case, we will take them and put them into foster care.  At the
present time, people seeking new homes for their ferrets and people seeking
ferrets are put on a referral list and we put them in contact with each
other.

Christine & David Mathis         Kimber Brawley, DVM MS
[log in to unmask]              Companion Pet Clinic
Oregon Ferret Shelter            3150 NE 82nd Avenue
17560 S Holly Lane               Portland, Oregon  97220
Oregon City, Oregon  97045       503-252-1601
503-557-8369

Ferrets in shelter:  160         Adoptable ferrets:  36+
Permanent residents:  25         Being rehabilitated:  6
Sick or injured:  6              Need spay/neuter:  40+
Need surgery:  6                 Ferret deaths:  2
Being sponsored:  5              Need sponsors:  2
Being fostered:  20
Adopted out:  12                 Taken in:  18
Unpaid vet bills:  $85           Unpaid shelter bills:  $700

Wish List:
Scale to weigh fuzzys needed very badly for accurate medications
Large 32 oz Lixit or Little Giant water bottles

Chere McCoy, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Brenda Ernest, DVM
Ferret Friends of                Westside Animal Hospital
  Indian River County            1795 10th Avenue
8775 20th Street, Lot 614        Vero Beach, FL  32960
Vero Beach, Fl 32966

Total ferrets in shelter:  17    Shelter capacity:  12 (5 over!)
Being fostered:  4               Adoptable:  20
Cancer or Insolumina:  8         Over 9 years old:  2
Blind:  1 (Halo, 18 mo must be adopted with her lead ferret Perry)

7 adrenal ferrets who had surgery and tested malignant are adoptable to
parents experienced with ferrets living with cancer.

Current foods: Wysong Feline Nuture (Dry), Iams Eukunaba (dry), Iams
Eukunaba Vet formula (dry & canned only available by prescription), Totally
Ferret.

Food Note:  Two cancer patients on Iams Eukunaba Vet Formula food.

All Ferrets: Neutured or Spayed, but two not descented

6 ferrets in last 30 days found by Animal control and turned over to
Vero Beach Humane Society who released them to us

Ferrets found and returned to parents in last 30 days:  2

Wish List:  Sheets and pillow cases, nutrical, water bottles, cage

Stephanie Mudgett,                Dr. Steven Caffrey, DVM
    [log in to unmask]          Fryeburg Veterinary Hosp, PA
Ferret Services of Freedom        5 Pine Street
RR 1, Box 1592                    Fryeburg, ME   04037
Freedom, New Hampshire  03836

Total ferrets in shelter:  10     Adoptable ferrets:  3
Sick or injured:  7               Needing vaccinations: 3

Wish List:  Nutrical, Ferretone, Laxaire

Julianna Quadrozzi, ferretdiva@mind
GA Domestic Ferret Association

Total ferrets in foster homes:  23 (and 6 waitlisted to come into care)
Permanent residents:  4+ (unless someone wants wonderful older fuzzies)
Being rehabilitated:  3 biters     Adoptable ferrets:  20 ?
Sick or injured:  2                Needing vaccinations:  3
Needing surgery:  1                Needing sponsors:  1
Adopted out this month:  2         Taken in this month:  5

Wish List:
More people who think before aquiring a pet;
More people taking responsibility for their now unwanted pets;
Fewer people dumping pets for convenience;
More good parents wanting to adopt;
More people getting involved to help raise the standards for ferrets.

KODO IS DEAD.  LONG LIVE KODO.

Judith Sanders, [log in to unmask]     410-850-0143

Total ferrets in shelter:  5       Adoptable ferrets:  5
Permanent residents: 10, including two pairs of show/breeders.

Easily adoptable: one young attractive pair of spayed females, one cream and
one dark sable.

Need an understanding hand: two nippy sisters, 7 months old.  They should be
"tameable" in a few weeks, but I have almost no time to work with them.

Adoptable by adult: one lovely two-year old who is very sweet most of the
time, but has bitten me when she was genuinely mad at me.  Fine for an
adult, but would not adopt out as a child's pet.

Overall shelter health : very good, everybody in good shape for their age.
I keep them up to date on shots; no deaths since last November.

I need homes for these gals!  My cages are full, and I'm moving to VA this
fall!

Wish List:
Experienced ferret owners to adopt these ferrets!  I live near BWI airport,
just off 695, the Baltimore Beltway.

Megan & Mike Scott                 Dr. Zeitlin, DVM
[log in to unmask]                    VCA Lake Worth
Ferrets in the Sun Club & Rescue   3401 2nd Ave. N.
18F Crossings Circle               Lake Worth, FL 33461
Boynton Beach, FL
561-735-7879

Total ferrets in shelter:  9       Adoptable ferrets:   3
Permanent residents:  2            Being rehabilitated:   2
Sick or injured:  2  (both adrenal problems)
Ferrets needing surgery:  1 exploratory (adrenal)
Ferrets needing sponsors:  Izzy (malignant-adrenal/insulomnia)
                           Skeeter (adrenal)
Ferrets taken in this month:  2
Unpaid vet bills:   $325            Unpaid shelter bills:   $700

Wish List:  Wysong or Nutro Natural Kitten food, decent sized Cages and
accessories (heavy crock bowls, hammocks,  bedding, etc.).

Ferrets in the Sun has been in operation for about 9 months and is growing
faster than we expected.  Thank goodness my vet doesn't mind dealing with me
so much :).  I am looking for an accountant or attorney familiar with FL
state non-profit laws to help us set up as a 501(c)3.  I have run into many
brick walls in my area without this status.  Thank you for your time...

Stephanie Sheme                    Dr. Joseph Bock, DVM
  [log in to unmask]               Adobe Animal Hospital
Ferrets Etc                        4660 Table Mesa Drive
4339 S. Galapago St.               Boulder, Colorado
Englewood, CO 80110                (303) 494-4344

Total ferrets in shelter:  40      Permanent residents: 12
Adoptable ferrets: 21              Being rehabilitated: 3
Sick or injured: 4                 Needing surgery: 2
Ferret deaths in June: 8           Needing sponsors: 4
Adopted out this month: 24         Taken in this month: 64
Unpaid shelter bills: $2,050

Wish List:   Amoxi, cat litter, food

Sheena Staples, [log in to unmask]
PO Box #3
4607 Kingsway
Burnaby, B.C.
V5H 2B3
pager number 1-604-601-4883

Total ferrets in shelter:  1        Permanent residents:  2
Sick or injured:  1                 Adoptable ferrets:   1
Needing spay/neuter:   1            Needing vaccinations:  1
Needing surgery:   2                Being fostered:   2
Adopted out this month:  3          Taken in this month:   1
Unpaid shelter bills:  about $300

Wish List:
food dishes (the kind used for parrots); Eukanuba for Cats 2-for-1 coupons.

The Great Canadian Pet Fair was great for PR and that's how we found all our
rescues homes.  We also had a short documentary about Wherret Ferrets aired
on television that will hopefully bring out adopters.  Our current rescue,
"Tucker," was rescued from an abusive situation in a pet store by a GVFA
member and the store owner only gave in because he's heard of the GVFA and
Wherret Ferrets :-)

Mark Zmyewski, [log in to unmask]
Cloud Nine Ferrets
P.O. Box 4271
Huntsville, AL  35815
Heath Niehaus (205) 885-0105
Donna Tarbell (205) 885-0105
Mark Zmyewski (205) 536-6348

Total ferrets in shelter:  5         Adoptable ferrets:  5
3 are biters and will need a loving, experienced new family

Adopted out this month:  5           Taken in this month:  3
Unpaid vet bills:  $50

Wish List:  One large cage, 20-pound bag of Totally Ferret
            "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret", by James Fox,
             or any more recent book similar to this.