From:
Morning Starr Animal Sanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:34:57 -0700
The scenario described by, the anonymous poster, sounds like the
environment I worked in when I worked for the local humane society for
dogs and cats.  With every word I could understand exactly what you are
saying.  When I worked at the humane society I would say "this is no
place for an animal".  First of all, the day starts with arriving, a
quick hello to all the animals and start cleaning, cleaning, cleaning
before the public arrived.  Then food and water changed, blankets
changed.  No time to work with that dog or cat that was scared.  No
time for being with the animals.  Those who need that extra attention,
or any attention for that matter, forget it.  At my lunch time I would
sit in the kennels on the floor with the dogs just to give them "some"
attention.  By no means did I mention all the work that is involved,
i.e. cleaning up a tossed litter box, shots, laundry, showing people
around etc. but you get the picture.

The liability insurance alone would be astronomical as we know some
ferrets like to taste those fingers that come into their cages or the
noses that everyone seems to like to snuggle with.  Supervision would
have to take place with each and every person who came to visit.  What
if a big crowd comes from a school with lots of little fingers who don't
always do the right things.??  When I worked at the humane society the
cages all had signed not to let the dogs lick your fingers, people did
it anyway.

We are housing over 50 ferrets in our sanctuary, which is our home, and
it is not always easy.  It is, a 24/7 job.  Some of the ferrets that
need extra attention, like biters, will sometimes go to one on one foster
homes.

I can still clean the ferret room, give them all a nice time out for
play and take care of my home, brush my dogs, horses etc.  I know which
ferrets get along and can have playtime together and which ones are
loners.  If I had to leave my home to go to a building to be with the
ferrets they would not get the same amount of attention or time.  The
building would become the thing getting attention to keep it up.  Much
needed funds would go to the electric bill, salaries and things.  If
someone is sick or on his/her last few hours, at least here I can hold
them and sit and watch my favorite nighttime show, or carry them around
with me as I do a few chores and into the night.  That way they are not
alone in the end.  Ferrets are a different kind of animal and I am not
sure either if a "free standing shelter" would work.  I think the stress
of different people taking care of them, as those places don't always
have the same employees (volunteers) for long, would not be positive.  It
was also a good point that if you are no longer involved, would someone
else keep it as clean as you, screen adopters like you, care for them
like you??  I am not saying it is something that cannot happen, to have a
building, but it would have to be a whole new concept and I am not sure
what that is yet.

If someone donated the amount of money that was mentioned in the email
about the shelter I would use it to pay our vet bills, redo our ferret
room, buy new cages and have lots of money left for any emergency.

Fran C. Freedman, President & Co-Founder
Morning Starr Animal Sanctuary
"A New Beginning..."
An all volunteer organization
www.morningstarr.org

You may contact us at: 928-821-2420 or email: [log in to unmask] or
mail: P.O. Box 1363, Cornville, AZ 86325