From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:36:45 -0700
Reanne asked the question, when operating a shelter/rescue, what
constitutes a "personal ferret" as opposed to a shelter ferret.  I'm
sure this answer will vary from person to person, but here's how and
WHY I differentiate:

A ferret that I adopted from another shelter, usually in advanced years
or with medical issues, is my personal ferret.  (I do this because I'm
more of a home environment than a shelter with wall-to-wall cages and
limited time & space for individual care & play).  Ferrets that were
given up by an owner who specified that they wanted ME to always keep
the ferrets as opposed to adopt them out, are my personal ferrets.  2
ferrets that I purchased (hanging my head because I can't believe I did
this) at Petco 5 years ago as Kits, in an emotional reaction to the loss
of 5 old ferrets in a short period of time, are my personal ferrets.

Ferrets that I am caring for indefinitely, at no charge, while their
Mom/Dad is on Active Duty in Iraq are, in my mind, fosters.  I fund these
out-of-pocket.

Ferrets who came into the shelter as give-ups and are considered by many
to be "unadoptable" due to advanced age or medical conditions are, in my
mind, permanent residents and are shelter ferrets.  Not that I would not
adopt or foster them out if someone wanted them & was qualified to handle
their special needs - but as we all know, these guys tend to not be what
most people are looking for when adopting.

And the reason I differentiate between them is to keep the money
straight.  My shelter ferrets are funded primarily out of pocket - but I
have fund-raised a few times and feel strongly that all shelter operators
have the responsibility of being on the "right side of the line" when it
comes to being honest about where that money goes.  People are glad to
donate to support shelter animals - those give-ups who are waiting to be
adopted, those who are permanent residents, etc.  They do not donate to
a shelter with the intent that the money can also be spent on the shelter
operator's personal pets.  Even a whiff of impropriety reflects poorly
and can effect future donations of not only your own shelter, but
shelters in general.

I also try to let people know what donations will be used for when
possible - "Bunny's adrenal surgery", "Cricket's root canal", "enough
litter to keep us in stock for 6 months", etc.

Jerri Carel
The Ferret Haven
Louisville, KY
(502) 261-0880