From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:07:07 -0400
>I was really surprized afterwards when, during playback, the reproduction
>sounds were strangely attenuated, even in frequencies I was aware were
>missing from the originating shrieks.  This was highly disappointing to
>say the least.

My husband is an electronic technician and I'd asked him about something
like this.  He says that recording devices only record a certain range of
sound waves -- people hear a certain range and depending on how good the
recording device is, it records a subset of that range.  Using a recording
device to play back sounds for ferrets isn't going to give you what you
want, since it's entirely possible they're reacting to sounds outside the
range of human hearing and they're only designed to record within the human
hearing range.

--Barb--