From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 03:19:19 -0700
>"as for them not hearing their names...somehow mine do...or maybe my
>hearing ones help them...i do not know...maybe they hear in their heart
>but not their ears?...
>
>but really...they are no different than any of the other kids...
>
>oh..and i still talk to my deaf ferrets just as if they can hear me...
>which they do...but on another level than with their actual ears...:)"
>
>kat

Very well written.  I agree so much.  They do seem to "hear" or sense
their names.

Being deaf you would think communication would be more of a problem,
but I had a hard time believing my little Ruby was deaf at first.  We
DO communicate, I don't know if it is visual or emotional, or what,
but she seems to know what I am saying .

Ruby does so well, I really didn't know she was deaf at first.  Granted
she seemed a "bit different", but I didn't know how.

I have tested her with my hand held vacuam cleaner (where she couldn't
feel the vibrations) no reaction.  I have clapped, whistled and squeaked
toys.  No reaction.  Fire crackers go off, dogs bark, no reaction.  But,
she is in tune with the others and when I call them she comes running
too.

Also treat time, she knows!  That nose is so sensitive!

She really is so visual too, she sees movement and will run to it.  I
used to wonder why sometimes she would freeze so still and intensly look
and deep sniff for no obvious reason for sometimes up to a minute.  Now
that I know she is deaf, it makes sense.

I used to feel so sorry for her, but now I know... love is the universal
language.

suzi