From:
Brandon Burt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 02:30:56 -0600
This is a first-time message to the FML, so I will include a brief
introductory note after the main topic.

Hi all! Our seven month-old male is due for a whole slew of vaccinations in
the weeks to come. I've been shopping around for a local veterinarian who
will administer Fervac-D, since I have an idea it's best for the little guy.
He already got one distemper shot from the breeder, so I'm expecting he'll
need two or three more, in addition to the rabies vaccination in a couple
months.

I spoke to one veterinarian who said he could administer a modified-live
virus called United, and that the ferret would only need two shots (total)
instead of the regular three or four.  Now, this contradicts what I have
read in the FAQ, and so I am wary.  We are already head-over-heels in love
with the little weasel, and he will get whatever he needs to be as safe as
possible from illnesses.  At the same time, if we can save the tiny little
fellow from having to go through one extra painful poke, I wouldn't mind
paying extra for that.  Is it possible that this "United" might be a new
or different sort of vaccine, one that doesn't require as many pokes?  Or
should we keep looking for another ferret doctor?

--

Brief introductory note: My S.O.  and I have been interested in becoming
ferret folk for some time now, but what really spurred us into taking the

Anyway, after doing a bunch of research and talking to experienced ferret
folks, we finally brought our tyke home!  Frankly, our ferret is brilliant.
He has learned to use his litter box in less than a week (well, okay, he
has learned to use the area /next to/ his litter box, but still!) and he is
not in the least a biter (small, light nips during play are good and normal,
right?) Our cats seem to like him, and one of our dogs is completely,
neurotically enamoured of him.  We are still trying to find out what his
name is.  We think it's either Lucky, Quark, or Meko, but who knows?
Anyway, thanks to everyone who has contributed informative and invaluable
information to the list!

-Brandon + he who shall remain nameless (for the time being)