From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:20:13 -0800
Several weeks ago, I was driving to have lunch with my son Marty.  I was
driving Rocky's Ferretmobile, a 1993 Pathfinder.  I collided with a
Baltimore County Ambulance in a light controlled intersection.  They ran
a red light at a high rate of speed.  Rocky's Ferretmobile was totalled,
and I nearly was too!

I was almost killed in that collision.  My first thought was my son, I
knew he would worry when I didn't show.

My next thought was my shelter.

I knew I was in bad shape, as my car came to a stop.  My right arm was
majorly dislocated, as was my left knee.  All the other injuries came
into focus later; broken toes, ribs, spine, muscle issues.

It was my worst nightmare short of death.  However, while sitting there
in my car, and taking inventory, I thought I was going to die.  My son,
my shelter was all I could think of.

Within 1 hr of arriving home, after being released from the hospital,
Pooflingers - Kim Sikorski, had an up and running list of folks to
Barb-sit and take care of Rocky's Shelter.  Incredible!!!

Within 8 hrs, and to this day, folks from Maryland, Virginia,
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, North Carolina, Florida came here to help me
and keep Rocky's up to our high standards of care.  With the snow storms,
often these teams were stranded on my farm.  They slept on my Futon, and
on the floor.  Folks actually took vacation time, or a leave of absence
to come tend to me and the shelter.

I have received care packages of various kinds of help and get well cards
from the ferret community.  Thank you all so much!!

I have multiple injuries that I will recover from.  But anyone who knows
me, knows how stubborn I am.  The thought of continued down-time, is
really pissing me off!  BUT, please, not for one moment, don't think that
I am not grateful...I am incredibly grateful to be alive, and surrounded
with such wonderful friends.

It just wasn't my time.  Most of all, my son needs his mother.

Second, I have legislation that I introduced to Maryland Delegates
Boteler and Cluster, on December 30th 2003.  That Bill, HB1136, needs
my voice of 15 years of ferreting, 9 years of sheltering.  I will be
there to testify for this Bill.

I am thrilled to be able to type.  I can't lift a litter pan or brush my
hair...but I can type.  My right arm is able to do light-weight, waist
high tasks.

I am one grateful shelter mom.  Grateful to be alive, grateful to still
have a great shelter, and grateful for all the wonderful friends giving
me hope that this very difficult moment in time, will come to pass.  It
will be so, because of all the wonderful love and and support.

Y'all do me a personal favor.

SUPPORT MARYLAND'S HB1136.  <see other FML post, thanks!>

Thank you all so much,

Affectionately, Barb Clay
www.rockysferrets.com