Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:28:35 -0500
Diane Wall <[log in to unmask]>  wrote on 1/7/2006, 2:00 AM:
> (versus the imprinted on chicken based kibble).
>
>I was first introduced to the turkey based kibble when Houdini entered
>my life.  ...
>A wise ferret mom (Donna Connor!) also had a ferret with chicken food
>allergies and gave me some of the ProPlan Turkey and Barley (cat food)
>to try.

I, too, have several who have chicken allergies, and would love to find a
good non-chicken based food.  Unfortunately, foods like Pro Plan's Turkey
and Barley still contain a fair amount of chicken.  If you read the
ingredients, you will see it contains "poultry meal", and often that is
largely chicken.  So, while it does contain some turkey, it also has the
chicken.

I have good to feeding my kids slightly cooked ground turkey that I buy
at the grocery store.  When I say slightly cooked - I put it in a pot
with water, and bring it to a boil.  I then turn off the heat and cover
the pot, leaving it on the burner.  When it has cooled, I run it through
my food processor, and turn it into a puree.  I can then freeze it, and
defrost it as needed.

I have not had much luck getting them to eat the ground turkey just
cooked - they want it pureed.  But, as a thick soup, they love it.
--
Danee DeVore
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator