From:
"Dina A. Stevenson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:02:39 -0500
Hello all --

There have been a number of postings in recent months regarding negligent or
cruel treatment of ferrets in pet stores.  I've talked & talked & TALKED to
sales people at 2 stores in my area (to no avail) trying to get them to move
their "merchandise" from small aquaria with cedar chip bedding to something
more healthy and appropriate.  This is soooooooo frustrating -- and I can't
afford to buy all of the babies to rescue them, nor would I want to
encourage the stores in their bad practices by doing so.  What to do?

It occurs to me that we need a well-written (I'm an English teacher; I can't
help it) clear and informative handout to give to the store personnel so
they don't think it's just me (or you)--that weird ferret nut--complaining
about nothing.  It should include whatever scientific/veterinary information
is available as well as a bibliography for further reading (not that I
expect pet store managers to go in search of the listed resources, but it
would look impressive).  I don't know enough to write such a document, but
some of you surely do.  We could put it in a separate FAQ so that any of us
could download it as needed & have copies to pass out.  If someone puts it
together, I'd be glad to edit it & collaborate to the best of my ability.

So whaddaya think?
Dina