From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 00:32:27 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3163

>My ferret, Snickles, is 3 1/2 years old and I've noticed lately that
>his urine has a very strong ammonia smell to it. Did you have any
>answers for me? I will be taking him to the Vet, but I would like to
>walk in with proper questions.

I wouldn't want your first visit to be without answers, but this may de
a difficult one to answer without more information, and the information
is often best gotten at your vet.

Very concentrated urine may be a simple explanation, or some ingested
food ingredient  (Oh no - I've given the "must've et something"
explanation).

The key here is some simple tests - a urinalysis (to look for compounds
in the urine, as well as measure the concentration, and a blood chemistry
and CBC - to make sure the liver and kidneys are working fine.)

A strong urine smell is not usually the sign of a serious problem, but
it's worth checking out.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM