From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:49:14 +0000
This person questions the ethics of asking for donations and then a shelter
owner traveling.  I can understand the confusion of the poster.

After starting the Houston Area Ferret Association (club) I kept in close
contact with several shelters in that area.  Also wanting to help others on
the FML, I have developed a relationship with several shelters and clubs
across the US and Canada.  I know from visits to shelters how they operate.

One thing must be made clear, several shelter operators are going to the
Human Society's National Convention.  This is a working trip and most will
only be there a couple of days or so.  They want to help spread good
information about ferrets and their care to this organization and its
members.  The HSUS had been recently making changes in their policies
concerning ferrets, for the better, but much more needs to be done.

I do know that some of these people are able to go because of the love of
friends and family.  Otherwise they could not afford it.  Besides, how many
of us wait till everything we need to do and pay for is done before we treat
ourselves to something?  Even if the trip's were vacations, which they are
not, I wouldn't begrudge any shelter operator of one.  These people are on
call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  They see many more terminally ill,
injured and just plain unloved ferrets than we can imagine.  It takes a lot
of emotional strength to do a job like this, and it takes a lot out of them.
I could not do it.  It would make me an emotional wreck.  So let them
recharge mentally, for all the hard tasks that lay ahead.

Mo' Maggie and the Grateful 19 (in tribute to the shelters)