From:
Lizabeth G Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 23:12:49 -0400
>ferret cardiac conditions are anything like human cardiac conditions, a
>heart murmur (as in mitral valve prolapse) can be totally benign,

I am not sure if I totally understand, but as my cardiologist explained it
to me, a murmur and mvp are not the same thing.  There are different types
of murmurs and some can be quite dangerous.  My mother has mvp (not
associated with any medicines) and she has to be careful about the types of
activities she engages in.  I imagine that if a ferret had mvp the same
would be true.  I have a murmur called a flow murmur which (like yours) is
probably instigated by asthma medication.  If a ferret had something like a
small murmur I too doubt it would cause many problems.  I know that in my
case some doctors can hear the murmur and some can't.  If my vet heard a
small murmur in one of my ferrets I don't think I would get too worried,
but I would be sure to be more careful about excessive heat and
dehydration.  I know I am comparing apples to oranges in a way (humans to
ferrets) but isnt it time we were the "lab rats" for animals instead of the
other way around?  :)

liz