From:
Webmaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:50:10 -0500
Can't make it to Sydney?  Texas is closer to home!  The Ferret Lovers' Club
of Texas is proud to announce the fifth annual Ferret Olympics, to be held
in Grand Prairie, Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth) on Saturday, October 21, 2000.
We have thirteen events to select from, including the popular tube races,
maze race, and "best dressed" events as well as the all new "Sock it To the
Ferret".  This contest will recognize the ferret and owner team that can
most quickly clothe all 4 of the ferret's feet in tiny socks.  Just think
of it as Weasel Wrestling!  More information on this and past Olympics is
online at http://www.texasferret.org, including entry forms.

We are in the process of lining up vendors for the show.  If you have
ferret related items you'd like to offer for sale at the Ferret Olympics,
please visit the website above and review the vendor information in the
Olympics section.  There are several ways in which you may participate,
even if you cannot be at the show.  You may also contact
[log in to unmask] or call (817)498-1470 for more information.

For those of you interested in the cautionary procedures followed at this
show to reduce the risk of any diseases, here is what we are doing:

1) We consulted with local ferret knowledgeable vets before going forward.
   Several of these and other vets are working with us to help put on the
   show.
2) Vet checks/interviews are performed for each ferret entering the hall.
3) We are offering FREE ADV TESTING prior to the show for those attending
   in any capacity (see website for details) through the assistance of
   Dr. Jerry Murray and Dr. Karen Rosenthal (much thanks to these vets!).
4) We use appropriate disinfection (with parvocides) at the vet check in,
   in cleaning any "accidents", between ring events, and offer it to the
   public in towelettes placed throughout the hall (and in spray form on
   request).  An example of the care we take can be recognized in that
   we have successfully run a show for 4 years in an area where ECE is
   widespread without receiving complaints of ferrets becoming infected
   through the show (and believe me folks do complain if they don't like
   something... too many raffle items, too few raffle items, why do we let
   someone who won an event last year compete again, etc.).
5) We have ADV info on our website, at our meetings, & in show mailings.
6) We require folks to sign a health disclaimer reminding them about the
   risk of transmissible diseases, including ADV.
7) Where possible event materials are not re-used-- each ferret gets their
   own towels, cups, paper sacks, socks, etc.
8) We make clear that cages and the animals in them are only to be handled
   by the owners.  We warn folks against touching each others' ferrets.

We hope you will visit the website to get the information about testing
your ferrets for ADV.  If you plan to take advantage of this opportunity,
PLEASE notify [log in to unmask] as soon as possible so that we can
obtain the needed testing supplies, then follow the instructions to reserve
your time!  We look forward to seeing you at the Ferret Olympics!