From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 21:44:18 -0700
Re closet doors: I have great success with wide rubber band on wall
(make sure stays on wall) which I can hook over a screw on the door to
hold the door closed.

Re carpet: chicken wire works well, too.

Re incubation, shedding: my understanding is that the real scientific
issue is not incubation time but shedding period of rabies in ferrets,
which I understand is the period in days in which the ferret is able
to shed rabies (typ. through saliva infused through deep puncture
wounds; studies I've seen find minimal risk here for several reasons
-- lack of furious rabies (though that may actually prejudice against
ferrets, interestingly), lack of evidence of rabies in saliva, and
general resistance to rabies).

The following is somewhat long at about 76 lines, but perhaps you'll
find it interesting . . .

I found out the ferret bite decision policy in 5 states.  All of this
data is from very recent verbal phone discussions with state
epidemiology/state public health vet offices.  []'s are my comment,
and I think I noted everything correctly, but no guarantee:

(Notice that all take into account circumstances of the case (as the
Compendium suggests), even the states I researched in higher rabies
incidence areas.  I want to ask Suzanne Albert in MD whether *any*
circumstances are relevant, and would *any* circumstances have saved
the MD ferret.)

CO (John Poppy, any danger is almost exclusively bats, printed policy avail.):
If vaccinated, quarantine for 30 days (though *very slight* chance of
kill & test if victim presses and has a reasonable case for danger).
If not vaccinated, consider circumstances of the bite (whether
reasonably certain indoor pet for 6 mos, history of pet, whether pet
owned, where purchased, bitee's comfort with no kill & test), and then
kill & test if factors warrant, or else quarantine for 30 days.

TX (Bradley Hicks, bat, plus lots of coyote, fox, raccoon, skunk):
Depends on part of state and epidemiology thereof.  Delegate to local
authority there.  Ferrets in "gray area".  Look at situation, assess
risk (reasonably certain indoors?  vaccinated?).  If not reasonable
certainty (e.g. stray or outdoor, other factors), then quite possibly
kill & test.  The vacc. "not as solid" w/ferrets, still may kill & test
if significant risk.  Adequate ferret shedding research could change
Compendium.

VA (Dr. Jenkins, bat, raccoon, skunk):
Case-by-case basis.  Assured no exposure?  Other factors, take
everything into account.  Wouldn't push for kill & test if family
member case and they don't want kill and are advised of nature of risk
based on circumstances.  Bad experiences make us a little less likely
to trust word no escape, etc (again, trust here is case by case) -- example
case includes female *rabid* DC ferret assured no escape but
discovered owner took to breeder where male (presumed rabid and
responsible for trans.) disappeared after mating.  Horses and cattle
good history of rare transmission, not deep puncture wounds [?], consider
vicinity (poten. for trans.) in cattle cases.  3 rabid ferrets in VA.
NASPHV cheering on CDC & Kansas study.  If studies (e.g. european)
existing done on limited # of animals only, would have bearing.  Also
important to consider strain of rabies, european fox strain?

[This last point came up also with Dr. Sorhage (NJ) who explained even
more, below, re should test using strains from skunks and raccoons for
greatest relevance to our cases; apparently as opposed to voles and
rodents; I'm not sure from talking to them not sure if American strains
vs. European is an issue or not as compared to what species tested].

NJ (Dr.Sorhage, various hosts, esp. raccoons)
Depends on situation.  Wounds on it?  If vacc. several years in a row?
Indoor?  Bitee agreeable?  These are difficult cases for us.  We get
questions 20-30 times a year [was that just for ferrets?]  We have no
legal power, just give eval [several said this, but could go to court,
apparently, VA said not require go to court ??].  Ferrets close to
skunk, expect ferrets to be asymptomatic shedder [? hmm.]  [Also
mentioned rabid DC ferret meets horny rabid male at breeder case.]
Strongly suggest you keep your ferret away from others for its sake,
esp.  faced with human mother and child encounter.  Totally different
strain (fox) in Europe.  Wants ferret organizations to support study
CDC and Kansas.  Send in 2 bucks each, enthusiasts [casual
exhotation. not official].  Won't go on eupopean hosts and strains
("no way, Hose") -- use skunk strains (and raccoon and bat).  Brain
test is most reliable we have.

OR (Paul Seslak, rabies in OR very rare, recent fluke w/fox one corner of OR,
printed (general) policy avail.):
No real big risk due to state epid.  Worry mostly about bats (perhaps 3
percent rabid [?]).  No ferrets positive (going at least back to
1960).  In same period, 3 dogs positive, one from Mexico.  Assess
risk, if dog going nuts aggressive, check, perhaps higher risk.
Ferret bites, still assess risk, but very low.  Indoors or not, vacc
or not, concern of bitee relevant.  If bitee adamant, might approve
kill & test after discussion of reasonableness.  Might have bitee pay
for study though given incidence of rabies in OR.  Among other things
that won't be tested (see policy), rodents or rabbits inflicting
provoked bites (in OR [?], 3000 tested in 27 years, no positives).
Ferret questions not real regular [as opposed to other states], maybe
1/year?

Todd Cromwell
Dors and Seldon