From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:43:34 EDT
I have read here and there that ferrets...being so small...may not
actually need the dose they are getting for their distemper shots.  We
may be giving them too much.  I have heard of people that are vet techs
who space their shots out to 1 and 1/2 years instead of every year.
That might not be a bad idea.  I look forward to reading of studies on
that.  Obviously, I wait in my vets office a full 30 minutes after shots
are administered in case there is a reaction.

I NEVER give a rabies shot on the same day my ferrets get a distemper
shot.  I did that in the past, and one of my babies developed
fibrosarcoma at the injection site...a site where the swelling from the
shots never went down, and the cancer blew up to hideous proportions soon
afterwords.  Some literature on cats I read some years ago believed that
there could be a tissue reaction from the shots being given
together...These shots were given in the scruff of the neck.

I think we do not hear the horrors of not giving distemper shots here on
the FML because no one would admit to this here.  I understand the
suffering of the animal is terrible.

BIG has given us warning of the outbreak of distemper in Chicago.  I
sure appreciated that, as I was thinking of going 1 and 1/2 years per
distemper shot, and two of my ferrets are due for shots next month.  I
personally will be on time for the injections...specifically because of
this outbreak.  I thank BIG for sharing this knowledge.

I have had a ferret who had an adverse reaction from the distemper
shot...projectile vomiting, etc.  But I had stayed at the vets for the
30 minutes, and the ferret was saved, and lived a number of years past
this episode....though I never gave him distemper shots again.

These are only my experiences and thoughts.  The outbreak of distemper
in Chicago in ferrets must have caused terrible deaths for those
animals, and possibly makes ferret owners here in the Chicago area look
irresponsible ...

I really do not read of that many adverse affects leading to death from
distemper shots.  But a number of people are on multiple chat lines and
forums, and may have information I am not privey to.

For me...despite rumors and stories and even my own personal
experiences...I could not imagine not giving my babies the protection
of distemper shots.  I have a feral cat that is out at night, and am
currently feeding injured, or weak, or starving feral cats on my porch.
NO WAY could I not protect my babies with a distemper and rabies shot,
and live with myself.

If one of my ferrets dies from a shot, though I have waited the full
30 minutes,given rabies and distmper seperately, and made sure I have
a ferret knowledgable vet giving the shots....I will cry, and feel
terrible.  But I will know I held up my end of the bargain I made with
my babies when I took them in...to be a responsible ferret mommy.

Only my beliefs here. Feel free to disagree. I will not feel offended.
Lisette