From:
"Deborah W. Kemmerer, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:24:49 -0400
[Moderator's note: Yeah, pretty off topic!  It's a short FML today, but
I likely can't include things like this regularly... please reply directly
to Dr. Kemmerer.  BIG]

Dear Moderator: I know this post does not relate to ferrets.  It has to do
with my other animal-related passion, bat rescue.  I beg of you to let me
make this one post relating to bats.  I'll do my best to make sure the
resulting email goes straight to me and not to the FML.

Dear FML Folks:

Many of you know me and you know how devoted I am to ferrets.  Most of you
don't know I'm also devoted to another "misunderstood animal" cause, that
of bat rescue and conservation.  I'm making an appeal to you all today to
help stop the slaughter of 8,000 Grey Flying Foxes in Australia.

You guys are the best bunch I know to sic on a government agency to help
protect these animals.

The Botanical Gardens in Victoria, where this colony of bats has always
roosted, has decided that the bats must go, because they're damaging too
many plants.  They have done little to try to protect the plants or to move
the colony.  Therefore, starting next week, these bats will be exterminated
so that the gardens will look good in time for the Olympics this summer.

I find it horrendous and inexcusable that 8,000 animals will be slaughtered
so that a garden looks good.  I hope you agree with me.

If you want more detailed information on what's taking place you can
contact me directly.  Anyone interested in bats can also subscribe to
Batline at [log in to unmask]

(This is an information site for bat rescue and research people.)

Anyone who is willing, please write a letter or email.  Several Australian
bat rescue people have said they believe input from Americans can have an
impact.  I think it's important to stress that Americans will not be happy
with an Australian government that sanctions such slaughter and we have the
economic power to boycott the games.

The letter should refer specifically to the Botanical Garden bat colony.

Please help these bats if you can.  Their time is very short.  How would we
all feel if these were ferrets?

The two people to write are as follows (one is the premier, and the other
is the leader of the opposition):

The Hon Stephen Bracks, Premier, 1 Treasury Place, Melbourne, 3002
or P.O. Box 4912VV,
   Melbourne, 3001
Fax 9651 5298 Tel 9651 5000
email:  [log in to unmask]
The Hon.  Dr. Denis Vincent Parliament House Melbourne  3002 Napthine, `
Tel 9651 8512, Fax  9651 8426  104 Percy St,  Portland 3305
Leader of the Opposition P.O. Box 293 Portland 3305