From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:04:22 -0400
Wolfy wrote:
>Sukie has a very interesting theory. And it makes a lot of sense IF
>it is true that there is no striking rate of cancer and other life
>threatening health issues among these ferrets. That's a big if given
>that I could not really examine the information I had. Animal cells
>can?"age faster" than normal for a lack of a better way to put it.
>Cells have a life span. And genes map this out. There are actual gene
>or genetic reasons that lead to shorter life spans of a cell. I don't
>understand it enough to explain it properly other than the living
>cells of an organism just don't have good longevity.

Gosh, that must have come up in a long ago discussion I don't recall.

Probably, it predated the research that shows that neural crest
genetic disorders appear to damage the sympathetic nervous system.

Yes, I think it perhaps was Brett ( a genetics professor 'Becca and I
know) who pointed out that white belly marking can also indicated other
problems in that region. It's because of the many changes that can
happen from the mutations in their common progenitor fetal cells. The
neural crest variation that is seen with white body markings is KIT in
studies in multiple mammals if i recall correctly. You'll want to ask
him, 'Becca.

One thing which has not been looked at enough is which of the neural
crest genetic disorders ferrets can get. Remember, too, that different
genetic locations can be involved so an individual can have more than
one of these problems simultaneously.

For those who don't know, the Neural Crest is an early fetal area which
predates organ development. Early crests lead to a range to later cell
types in a number of specific locations depending of which crest is
involved so altering those fetal progenitor cells alters many things
in the individual.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/