From:
Jennings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 13:46:54 -0400
In answer to the question our ferrets legal in New York.  In the state yes
you need a permit $ 10.00.  But in the city of Manhattan, and surrounding
bouroghs, they are in fact illegal.

[Moderator's note: Sort of.  A health department administrative ruling
classifies them as "wild animals" and wild animals aren't allowed in the
city.  What it means in practice is questionable.  I see ferrets regularly -
even in Central Park.  The Animal Medical Center in the heart of the city
openly treats many, many ferrets.  There even have been ferret shows in NYC.

Of course, there have been occasions where a ferret owner gets nabbed,
usually the result of a complaint or some official having a bad day.  Heck,
the city even forced someone to give up her ducks.  Confused now?  So are
the rest of NYC residents.  BIG]