From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 22:30:12 -0800
Hello, y'all!

I've recently been contacted by a young ferret owner who's having a very
hard time with a biting ferret she recently rescued and needs advice on
how to most effectively teach it NOT to bite.  I've sent her some ideas
and proposed some explanations for the biting behavior but am severely
limited on time at the moment so I could only barely skim the surface.
Plus I am also very limited in my own personal experiences b/c I've not
been around very many hard (draw blood) biting ferrets.  (One of my
suggestions is that she wear gloves if the bites are that bad!)

If anyone out there has a few moments to drop her a line, we would both
REALLY appreciate it!  Please feel free to copy me as well so I can file
the info.  away for future use.

Her name is Louise and here's her email address and a bit of her original
email to me - both of which I've been given permission by her to post -

Louise / [log in to unmask] writes:

"Hi Jen

I just rescued 2 ferrets that have been living outside, covered with
feces with even maggots - it was pretty scary!  The one female (panda)
bites alot and for no reason.  I would try to get her out of her hammock
when she's awake and she turns and bites me every time! ...  She will
follow me around when I am in the ferret room and bite my feet and these
are REALLY hard bites... She really scares me.  I'd like to be able to
handle her but I'm too freaked out right now!"

Thanks everyone! ! ! !

Jennifer,
WAFL Organizer and willing slave to the dynamic duo, Sasha & Snowball :-)