From:
Susann Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:25:17 -0400
>From: anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
>Let potential rescuers *know* there are pets inside, especially pets
>who don't normally make a sound. Ferrets, herps, rabbits, guinea pigs,
>whatever. I don't care if you think you'll be back the very next day.

Anne is correct, however ferrets are among the animals that will be
VERY difficult, if not impossible, to find and rescue in time after
a disaster. Even if a rescuer goes to your house, knowing there are
ferrets present, it may simply take too much time for them to find a
small, silent animal that likes to burrow in difficult places. If a
rescuer can save several cats and/or dogs in the time it takes to
look for your ferret, guess what?

If you are asked to evacuate, please do so -- but BRING YOUR FERRETS
WITH YOU!! Plan now, so you have a place to go - and a Plan B!! - and
bring enough supplies for a week. If the authorities recommend that
you shelter-in-place, please take Renee's good advice - and also check
our FERRET website for lists of disaster kit supplies, pet-friendly
lodgings, and presentations on disaster preparedness.

The lessons of Katrina cannot be forgotten.

Susann Thiel
www.ferretemergency.org