From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 1994 10:47:21 EST
For the person with the discouraging weekend:
First of all, here's a rescue group on LI from the ferret database:
Little Thieves Rescue in Kings Park; 516-269-7236
I don't have any experience with them, but I'm always in favor of adopting
animals from shelters. I got my ferret Norman from FACT (Ferret Assoc. of
Connecticut).  I would definitely recommend them; they are in Hartford: (203)
247-1275; Ann & Vanessa Gruden.

I am not familiar with humane societies on Long Island; however, I hope that
you will at least consider calling someone and asking them to check conditions
at the pet store you went to. Sounds as if they need to be looked at. Or call
one of the rescue groups above and see what they suggest. As for Otto, let's
hope that a caring individual adopts him. He deserves better than his present
situation. In fact, you may want to ask a rescue group what they would suggest
about him. Sounds as if he may need some extra attention and maybe they could
help out.

Here's my 2 cents on biting:
All 3 of my ferrets have bitten in varying degrees. I got all three of them as
adults. Mr. Fuzzy Wuzzy was turned in at a wildlife center and his background
was unknown. He only bit while playing, and would often lick first for a while,
and then bite. He did not bite very hard and as he got older, he stopped biting
completely. He was an extremely loving creature.

Cinderella came from some people who no longer wanted her. She also bites only
while playing and not usually very hard. The only time it hurts is when she
bites my ankles. She is also very loving.

Norman came from FACT but was originally in a pet store and had been abused. I
adopted him knowing he was a biter. In the beginning he bit quite hard. I think
it was a combination of being abused but also not having been socialized.
Norman was the only one I really worked with to get him to stop biting because
it was such a problem. I was very gentle with him but consistent in letting him
know that biting was not acceptable. Norman does not bite now, although I do
not use my hands with him while playing, only toys. He has turned out to be a
very sweet ferret.

In my experience, ferrets need to be socialized into not biting. I also think
they are the most affectionate animals I have ever met, although they are
definitely not for everyone.

Good luck and please let us know what happens!

--Ronnie (Cinderella & Norman's mom in Massachusetts)