From:
Erika Matulich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 19:19:59 -0800

Mustang Charlie wrote:
>I would disagree here.  I have always fed my ferrets live mice.  Plain and
>simple, my ferrets have all lived to 10+ years.  No exceptions.  I believe
>that feeding a ferret, if it will eat it, a whole, preferably live, mouse
>on a regular basis is the best thing one can do.

Hey, no disagreement -- I recommend feeding mice, as long as they are WHOLE
(for complete nutrition) and CLEAN.  Feeder white mice don't carry all the
parasites, bacteria, viruses, and other diseases that wild mice do.  That's
just one reason that "wild" ferrets have a shorter lifespan in nature.  I
wouldn't think that you trap outdoor mice and feed them to your fuzzballs!

>As for feeding times.  In the wild, a carnivore can go several days
>between meals.  Food (prey) is not in front of him 24/7.  I know a number
>of vets who recommend only feeding ferrets a set times in the day...to
>control overweight ferrets...if they are kept caged with little ot no
>outside play

Well, I disagree here.  It's true that in the wild, SOME carnivores CAN
go several days between meals.  NOT by preference or choice.  Most animals
in the weasel family CANNOT go without for many days and will constantly
forage for insects, berries, grubs, rodents, etc.  And those carnivores
that do have widely spaced meals are not as healthy (with the exceptions
of the large cat family) and ALSO have a shorter lifespan.  Studies on
hummingbirds and shrews (fast metabolisms) show that a few set feeding
times with no food available in between causes systemwide problems and much
shorter lifespans.  Studies on humans also show that "grazing" on 6-8 small
meals all day long is MUCH healther than eating 2-3 times a day as we do
now.  I do not know of health/longevity studies on ferrets fed constantly
or at set times.  I would suggest that the vets who are suggesting set
feeding times do some further research.

The system strain on a fat ferret of withholding food could cause some
serious problems.  For a fat ferret, increase exercise (bigger cage, longer
play times, a buddy), switch to a lower fat/lower protein senior diet, but
DON'T withold food for periods of time more than a few hours.  Fat or not,
a ferret needs a fairly constant source of energy, and that does NOT
necessarily come from fat stores.  I have attended several necropsies on
fat ferrets who died of -- get this -- malnutrition and starvation.
Withholding food caused their bodies to attack and get nourishment from
the bones and muscles, not the fat.

In my opinion, like MC, always keep kibble available, along with plenty of
water (both in bowls and bottles) and then feed whatever other nutrition
would be good for your babies (duck soup, Bob's turkey gravy, live white
mice, or whatever).  Just don't feed raw meat that you purchased at the
store or even at the butcher in the United States.

- Erika Matulich (and the eleven furballs)