From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:08:50 -0400
>I saw Hooker doing the same like you described (leaning over the egg and
>going backwards)

This is rock removing behavior which is well documented in Black Footed
Ferrets and some other mustelids in the scientific lit.  BFFs take over
Prairie Dog burrows but like them less rocky and this is how they remove
the stones.

>I DO have a problem with people coming on the list and SELLING their kids.

Yes, me, too, usually.  When there is a true emergency that is really
strapping the folks I can understand a nominal cost to make sure that
someone who will abuse the animals or feed them to snakes will NOT wind
up with them.  Heck, if we had to "get rid of" Tootie Pie and were
looking to get back all we've put into the little deformed guy with IBD
(who instead will have more spent on him for an ultrasound soon) we'd
have to ask for $6,000 to $7,000!  LOL!  (Yes, we knew what we were
getting into when we took him for free due to his deformities.) Anyone
got $7,000 for a ferret ;-) ?  Opps, you can't have him.  He's the only
one who says "Murph-murphhhhh" when he kisses, so way too precious.  I
think that a scant few folks FORGET that most of us here do not look upon
ferrets the way we would on a decorating item, but if it helps we can
take the time to notice that MOST folks here love their ferrets and want
to provide wonderful care for them.

Like you, I can understand some of the surrenders, though I also (like
you) sure know that shelters are over-run and that some of the situations
are avoidable ones.  Maybe the surrenders posted here help some shelters
by reducing their burden.  A person can only hope sometimes...

>I not only resent people selling their kids but not taking responsibility
>for their health and welfare.

Not doing so is abuse.  Plain and simple.  It's like the poor, little
ferret, Heather.  who a set of our relatives who live far away had but
did not provide medical care for.  She died at only the age of two from
that form of abuse as surely as any other form of abuse would have killed
her.  In that state it wasn't officially abuse, though...

I do agree that in a perfect world anyone who has to surrender a ferret
should provide monies toward care till adoption, but I also know it won't
happen.

Hey, Bill Gruber, Moderator Extraordinary, heads up, I'm throwing a
much deserved thank you to you! [Whoa... almost hit me!  BIG]