From:
The Ferretously Funky One <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 16:14:04 -0400
My two little spuds are approx.  10 weeks old, fixed, descented, and from a
reputable breeder.  Kili is a husky 1.6lb male and his sister Bumblebee is a
petit little cinnamon weighing only 1.2lbs.

Some questions:

1) What is a normal reaction to a vaccination?  Does it differ depending on
the kind of vaccination (e.g., distemper vs.  rabies, Fervac-D vs.
Fromm-D)?  What danger signs should I be alert for?

I sat in the vet parking lot for twenty minutes like the FAQ recommended
.. but I had no idea what to look for  :)

2) Well-armed with FAQ, Marshall Farms info, and ready to step between the
vet and my little spuds should she in any way appear ferretly-challenged
(new state, new vet, you know how it goes;) I asked her about vaccinating
them against rabies.

She mentioned the "rabies shedding" studies that I have seen mentioned
here as well. What exactly is a rabies shedding study and what are they
looking for? (I've taken microbiology classes so I'm vaguely familiar
with the terminology.)

The vet said that the area (Jacksonville, NC) had only recently decided to
vaccinate ferrets against rabies since it is only now becoming a problem.
She told me how shocked she was to hear that a pet rabbit (housed outdoors)
had become infected by wild raccoons.  Exactly how is rabies spread?  Saliva?

3) Kili and Bumblebee were cage-mates at the pet store and got along with
each other and the other ferts in their cage just fine.  When we first
brought them home it was obvious that they were just playing: flinging
themselves at each other, nipping, making a lot of noise..

Now I'm not so sure!  If they are in a new area of the house they either
ignore each other or follow each other around, in the cage they snuggle up
in a pile of fuzz ..  But if they are in a familiar area all they do is
wrestle!  Kili is a sweet guy (he appreciates a good hug) but he will
wrestle Bumblebee to the ground, grab her ear, her leg, her side, whatever
he can catch hold of and TWIST until she cries.  Yesterday he left a bruise
on her tiny little ear.

Is this a dominance dispute?  Bumblebee has only once or twice gone limp in
his jaws - she usually keeps snapping at him even though she is pinned down
beneath his greater bulk.  I wonder whether this will end once they settle
in or if they just have a penchant for rough play..  Any ideas?

I had two ferrets for seven years previously (Tasslehoff and Marmalade).
Tas would ruthlessly bite and tear at Marm so bad that they could not be
allowed near each other.  Seven years with two ferts who both had to live
alone..  I would really like to avoid that this time around.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

                                _,-/"---,
         ;"""""""""";         _/;; ""  <@`---v
    ,/ / ;;  ;;;______;;;  ;;; ::,/  Melissa A. Durfee
    /;;V_;;   ;;;       \       /    [log in to unmask]
    | :/ / ,/            \_ "")/     Dungeon Master of Finder's Dominion,
    | | / /"""=            \;;\""=   the Original MUrpg!
 ;"""";
 \/"""