From:
Lindley A Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 11:48:31 -0600
For everyone's information I just transported my new addition, Idgie,
from Dallas to Missoula, Mt in a small carrier, in the cabin of a Delta
flight.  I did not have any problems.  We (Mia, Idgie's first mom from
Fayetteville, Ark, and I) called Delta repeatedly to make sure we had done
everything right however.  They didn't balk at all about it being a
ferret except the person on the phone when I was making her a reservation
to ride in the cabin asked, "now what is this creature?!"  You must make
a reservation because they only allow one pet in the cabin per flight.
You pay $60 and you are on your way.  I did get asked that they were
legal where I was taking her and Mia brought all her vet records and an
up to date clean-bill-of-health just in case.  I never got asked for them
but felt better having them.  The only problems we had were due to
weather.  Poor Idgie was driven from Fayetteville to Dalls to meet me for
my flight home.  BTW, Mia made a hammock for her in the big carrier for
the drive and she loved it.  Storms in Dallas made us board two hours
late and then we had to sit on the runway for 3.5 hours (until 12:45am)!
I was worried but Idgie took it in stride. I just made sure she kept
taking water.  We missed our connection getting into Salt Lake at 3am but
Delta put many of us up at hotels and Idigie and I got a room in the HILTON!!
They had a pet voucher even ready for me incase the hotel charged but the
clerk just asked what it was and gave me my key!  She had a high ole
time running around our room, bouncing and chuckling away.  We didn't get
much sleep before we had to be back at the airport in Salt Lake to catch
our Missoula connection but she sacked out basically from the time we got
there until we landed.

For her introduction to Lisa-da-weazul there never was a hitch.  They
were both excited by each others smells through their cages and then I
let them both out.  As soon as they met nose to nose they were chuckling
and following each other around.  I gave them about 15 min and then put
them back for naps so Idgie could get some rest.  That evening they were
playing some after Idgie got in some exploring time and the next morning
they were chuckling, bouncing, rolling, chasing and having a good time.
It is funny because Idgie is much bouncier and likes to run circles
around Lisa begging her to play and Lisa just stands there looking at her
until Idgie stops and then Lisa jumps on her!

Idgie slept in her own box the first night and last night she slept in
Lisa's cage, however on the downstairs part not upstairs with Lisa.
There has been a little hissing when one or the other wants to be left
alone but no fights or screams at all.:)  I hope this encourages others
to not be too afraid of introducing new playmates.  Even though Mia
misses her terribly we both know that they are happy ferrets now that
they have someone to play with.  My cats are tolerant but there were some
serious double-takes before they realized, yes, there really was another
one of those weird smelling things in the house!:)
Happy ferreting to all,
Lindy (happy to have joined the ranks of multiple-ferret households!!!)
Idgie (Holy cow look at this new place, come on come on Lisa let's play)
Lisa (Idgie would you just stand still for a minute)
Cats-Josh, Katie, Aldo and Husband-Shannon all saying,"NOoo, not another
one!!!!!!