From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 17:41:07 CST
We just recently finished a nutrition course in which the controversy over
ethoxyquin was mentioned.  I raised my hand and asked more questions
specifically because I knew this was a concern to many ferret owners and
breeders.

I personally do not believe that ethoxyquin is a problem.  I realize that the
fact that it's used to make tires sounds shocking, but please consider that
water is most likely used for this purpose as well.  That does not make it
toxic.

The original reports about ethoxyquin were started by one single dog breeder
whose bitch lost pups.  They did not know why, so they thought they'd send a
sample to a chemist friend.  The friend analyzed it, and said it contained
ethoxyquin, a component in car-tire manufacturing.  The breeder was shocked
and immediately blamed the ethoxyquin, the newspapers grabbed it, and now
here we are.  There was never any mention of the fact that the bitch in
question may also have had some autoimmune problems.  Nor was there *any*
proof that the chemical caused the abortion of the pups.

There have been several studies done since then -- the companies did *not*
ignore the problem.  Obviously, they may be biased.  So there have also been
some studies done by researchers *not* affiliated with any pet food company.
All came to the conclusion that ethoxyquin presented no danger to the
consumer, animals or otherwise.

Ethoxyquin is an additive used to keep fat from going rancid.  Other, more
natural additives can be used for this purpose, but they do not work as well
and can lead to nutritional imbalances.  Some additive to preserve the fat is
absolutely essential, especially with the high fat content ferrets need.
Rancid fat could render a ferret both very sick and malnourished.  Studies
have proven that ethoxyquin is the most effective and probably *safest* fat
preservative.  It's not practical for me to send copies of said study results
to everyone who would want one, but I can certainly post the references for
people to get a hold of should they like.  I just don't have them in front of
me at the moment.

Keep in mind, also, that in a product that is `ethoxyquin free', the
manufacturer has simply not added any ethoxyquin himself.  It does not
necessarily mean that the source from where he got his fat did not preserve
it with ethoxyquin.

As for the complications mentioned from Max cat, I submit that *again* there
is *no* way of knowing that the ethoxyquin is the culprit.  More than likely
it is simply a poor quality food, and chances are good that the improvements
seen upon switching foods have to do with the improvement of the food
quality, not a drop in ethoxyquin content.

That's just my opinion;  I know this has been discussed before, but at the
time I knew nothing about it.  I'd be interested in hearing the doctors'
comments, especially if they disagree.

Laura

Laura L'Heureux Kupkee
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96