From:
Tracy Tye Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 02:43:04 +0000
Dear Ferret Lovers and Friends of the GCFA:

Several weeks have passed since this deadly canine distemper virus was
detected in our shelter. We have lost many. But thanks to the shelter
volunteers and their dedication to these animals, we acted quickly
and separated those with signs of infection and as a result we stay
cautiously optimistic for the over 40 ferrets we have who are not
showing signs of distemper. We are following an aggressive treatment
plan for these ferrets provided to us by other shelters and their
knowledgeable vets who have gone through this same tragedy. Sadly,
almost 30 ferrets have died due to this virus. None suffered.

For all of those who have donated money to us, thank you! Those
donations are going directly to ensuring that we can give the remaining
ferrets a fighting chance and that we can give a humane and dignified
release to those infected with this killer virus. Your moral support
goes directly to the all-volunteer staff who have to deal with watching
the little ones they loved, cared for, and played with, getting sick
and then having to send them to be put to sleep forever.

A special thank you to the Xavier: a Ferret Abroad Fund and FACT (The
Ferret Association of Connecticut) for their immediate action of
sending us needed supplies to combat the spread of this virus and
vaccines which we will be using this week as a booster shot for all
the ferrets not displaying signs of distemper. This act of unselfish
kindness and support allowed the GCFA to hit the ground running with
our quarantine and care.

To date we have incurred over $5000 in medical bills including
supportive drugs and needed equipment to treat and care for the ferrets
infected by this virus. We can still use any help you can give us.
Please donate. We are also going through supplies like water which
help us keep the virus isolated. We can use hair covers, shoe covers,
non-latex gloves, masks, bleach, and paper towels. If you can donate
any of these supplies, that would be most welcome also.

Thank you again for your ongoing support and please continue to send
your well wishes to our ferrets and our volunteer staff who continue
to fight for these tiny, voiceless creatures we all love.

GCFA Board of Directors
Moira Koppe, Shelter Director
~Tracy Tye Stephens~