From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 06:18:30 -0500
To Brian Walker:

I use Pediapred now, but that has somewhat of a cherry flavor (I have to
taste everything).

When I used tablets, I would crush up 1/8 tab or 1/4 tab depending on what
your vet prescribes and mix it up with a small amt of warmed up baby food.
I used about 1/2 tsp of baby food and nuked it for 7 sec - depends on your
microwave.

You need to use a small amt of baby food to insure that your ferret eats the
whole thing and gets the entire pred dose - then you can go ahead and give
additional baby food - it's not good to give pred on an empty stomach so
using the baby food serves 2 purposes.

I never had any trouble administering daily pred using this method.

One more thing - be careful about using Ferretone/Linatone when giving
meds - the oil inhibits absorption of some meds - Dr. Williams responded
to an inquiry of mine a couple of months ago regarding that.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY

[Moderator's note: Dr. Williams did indeed respond to your query in issue
1475, but he said that the oil might increase absorption, not inhibit it.
Of course, that could cause problems too...  BIG]