From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 23:44:53 -0400
Hi Jen from Ohio -

        Congratulations.  There is at least one other ferret owner( Kari )
on the FML going to Tufts this coming year as well.

        It is pretty easy to own a ferret is Mass.  Unless there is a
complaint, no one seems to take much notice.  It is fairly easy to get Vet
care, and strays are mostly transported out of state rather than killed.  My
own experience has been to take one of ours for a walk <carry actually> each
morning around five and we often pass an officer making out reports in his
car from the previous night.  There was one double take, but since then it
has been acceptance with absolutely no trouble.  Not to say that under the
law there couldn't be though.  It will be good to get some protection in place.

        At the moment we are waiting till budget time is over before the
Ways & Means Committee takes up Bill #295 which seeks to legalize ferrets,
(but no pet stores though).  There are a few people around who still believe
that ferrets suck the breath out of babies and other such nonsense, but we
seem to be slowly converting them.

        When you get here, it would help a lot for you to give your
representative a call or send a letter in support.  Tell her or him as a vet
student, of your experience with ferrets.  Last March 22nd forty or fifty
showed up for a hearing before the Committee on Counties, a real good time
was had by all, and the bill passed that Committee without objection.  So far
this year we are doing well.

                                        - Bill Williamson