From:
Sharin Alpert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:35:56 -0500
Dear ferret folk

This is a question about Chloe the Weasel, who is about 3.5 or 4 years old,
and who seems to have a partial blockage.  In the past several days, she
is pooping only 2-3 x/day, and small skinny amounts.  I've been giving her
vaseline (she prefers it to laxatone) a few times daily, maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp
at a time, to help things along.  She is happy & playful & energetic, eats
and drinks normally, no vomiting or signs of discomfort.

Brought her to a vet who has the rep of being the best around here with
ferrets.  She said that it does sound like a partial blockage, said that if
it gets worse - she starts vomiting or stops eating - exploratory surgery
would be in order.  For now, she prescribed caraftate, as she said the
stool sample i brought looked tarry, and recommended cutting the vaseline
to just a tiny bit, once a day.  She said we could continue this way long
term.

So, all of you knowledgeable, experienced ferret folk, does this seem to
you like the right advice?

As always, appreciate your help!

---sharin