From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1993 09:07:16 -0500
Sorry if this is a repeat - but my network was acting up when I sen the last
version...

To Arthur Grondine:

        You asked:  "The following symptoms
have appeared recently (~ 1 month): Hair loss (light-not severe) at the end of
the tail; Apparent dexterity trouble occasionally in the rear end( This is on a
hard wood floor);  A bit of scratching (I am convinced that it isnot fleas); and
a most peculiar very seldome occasional behavior pattern of standing still, and
then slowly falling over.
My ferret is approximately 6 years and 2 months old.  He is still very active,
but not quite as much as I remember him being a couple of years ago.  I am not
positive he has an adrenal gland problem.  How do I confirm whether or not he
has an adrenal gland problem?  Is he to old for surgery?
What is the life expectancy of a healthy ferret (any statistics)? "

        My reply - Although several of the signs that you have been describing
may be seen with adrenal disease (scratching, hair loss on the tail, and mild
dexterity loss in the hind end), they are certainly not specific for it.  Many
older animals lose some dexterity in the hindlegs as a result of aging nerve
changes - nothing is usually done for this because it is not debilitating.  Hair
loss may be seen in stressed animals, or during part of the normal shedding
cycle.
        The sign that concerns me is the occasional falling over.  What you
describe sounds like hypoglycemia rather than adrenal disesase,  The presence of
an islet cell tumor can usually be determined by a blood glucose reading (<60
being diagnostic).

        I would suggest a vist to your vet as soon as possible....

Bruce Williams, DVM