From:
Elizabeth Draus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 23:45:29 -0500
Well, on Sunday I was thinking about making an appointment with the vet to
get Velvet and Chloe spayed, but I decided against it because, after all,
there's no vets open on Sundays.  I thought to myself "It's not as if either
of them is in heat, or anything." I forgot to knock on wood.

The next time I went to check on them, I noticed Velvet's vulva was swollen.
Panic time!!!  I called the vet and luckily, he's open on Sunday.  So I
brought both in and told them that, as well as spaying them, they should get
vaccinated and have their nails trimmed.  Altogether, it cost $169.

Couple of questions, though: 1) Is it standard for the vet to not give the
rabies vaccine on this visit?  Because, on the way home, looking at the
bill, I noticed that the only vaccine they received was the distemper
vaccine.  I was under the impression that they were to receive both.  I'm
calling the vet to check tomorrow.  2) The vet's receptionist (and wife,
incidentally) assured me that spaying Velvet would protect her from aplastic
anemia (probably spelled that wrong).  However, I noticed when I got home
(didn't check her too thoroughly at the vet's because she was sleeping) that
her vulva is still swollen.  It that normal?!?  I'm really really really
really worried!  None of my ferret books cover that.  Please help!!!!

The vet was really good.  I was very impressed with the after-surgery care.
And he was really reassuring and understanding, too.  Oh, and when the
receptionist handed me Velvet, she said "Here's the nice one!" I wonder what
Chloe did?! ;)

Aside from that whole scene, the ferts are fine.  {weak attempt at humor} I
had a very stressful Sunday, and it's still in effect today, so please
excuse any mistakes or anything like that.

Worried dooks,
Liz 'n
Chloe (I got a cut on my belly ... zzz) 'n
Velvet (mind if I sleep on you? thanks.)