From:
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 20:35:58 -0700
>From:    Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: GCFA / FML "badges"

I'm glad you are going ahead with the GCFA.  I'm glad you haven't heard
the trash talk I have been subjected to.

>Has anything been decided on FML pins or badges so we can recognize each
>other at the various shows?  With the Michigan and Chicago shows coming up,
>I just KNOW there are going to be other listies there, but how do I find
>you?

You could always make your own.  At the Chicago show I should be REAL easy
to find.  I might be up front at a judges table - maybe championship, maybe
specialties, its been quite a while since I didn't judge something at
everyshow I've gone to.  Same in New York at the Big Apple Ferret Fiesta and
again at the coming LAFF Phantom Ferrets on Parade.  We usually have signs
up on our area - stop by and say "Hi".

>From:    "JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Distemper=Ebola?, Colds vs. Flu & ECE

>However, I'd still urge caution in purposely exposing young ferrets,
>especially kits to ECE.  The word is that ECE is a coronavirus, in which
>case, it's worth noting that some intestinal coronaviruses are *more*
>lethal in very young (e.g., recently weaned) animals.

I ought to point out that there are a couple kits in this area that very
well might have died at about four months of age from ECE or rather possibly
from complications after having been weakened by ECE.

>From:    Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccines for Mich. show, adoption, CFS, Bill Killian, TF
>In fact, if they did, you'd think they would advertise the fact not try to
>hide it as one of my concerns with MF ferrets is the lack of new lines.

Well in a small circle the lack of new lines is seen as a problem.  Marshall
has earned a reputation for extremely good temperaments - new ferret lines
would not necessarrily meet the high Marshall quality (at least in that
area) and would cost them more sales than it might gain them.  Very few new
ferret owners are in clubs that espouse strong anti-Marshall sentiments and
even fewer are on line in the FML where the same people have the same
opinions.  But their reputation is solid with the pet industry for these
qualities - although I have heard some pet stores complain about trouble in
getting as many ferrets as they wanted from Marshall.

IN a testing situation I think I've heard from those more in the area that
close genetic matching is NOT required or even necessarily desired.

I would credit much of the improvement in size and condition of the ferrets
to the care introduced by Dr. Bell.

>From:    Diana Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets - why OK in movies in CA?

Movie animal people can have ferrets for the same reason they can have
tigers, lions and other animals "common" people can not.

>From:    "Debra J. Sheets" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret size
>Hi, I was wondering if my Ferret is going to be big.

Depends a lot on genetics, diet and altering.  Genetics points to a bit
larger than average (average whole hobs seems to be some where over 4
pounds).  Diet depends upon you.  The later a ferret is altered (up to adult
size) the larger they seem to grow in the end.  Pet store ferrets altered
somewhere before 7 weeks old don't get as large as ferrets obtained from
hobby breeders.  You wonlt usually tell much from Mom's size since jills
don't vary as much as hobs.

>From:    Harold Plylar <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: new and confused
>He always respondes to my voice and loves to play with me, but he refuses
>to be held or petted.  If anyone has any advice on how to calm him down
>I'd be very grateful!!

Only real answer to both "problems" is time.  Kits are more hyperactive
than older ferrets.  The not wanting to be held is part of the activiety
level.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/