From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:45:25 -0400
On MF tracking their ferrets from their source to the pet store to the
owner...
>It would not be too difficult for them to modify the two dot system a tiny
>bit to tattoo a trackable code.

Just a thought...if Marshall microchipped the ferrets, at their site, there
would be no responsibility for the pet stores to track them.  Maybe the pet
stores could scan them at sale time and tell the owner what the ID number
was, it could be written on the registration card at sale time, and...oh
yeah, and MF could tout this as a value add.  Well then you've got them
tracked!  And it's  very hard for a counterfitter to muddy the waters this
way.

The main problem is the cost; I'd read it to be roughly $50 for pet owners
to have this done.  If MF did it en mass to their own animals, I don't know
what it would run them.

I really think if tracking is done on paper, the paperwork will get messed
up too often.  I don't think pet stores want to be bothered with this type
of thing as they don't make money off of it.  But maybe if the microchipping
thing was done they could offer the registration service with the main
microchipping registration org as part of the sale.

-Ilena Ayala