From:
Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:46:44 EDT
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since we posted, we exhausted all other options and
we could really use some advice and help.  Here goes:

We have a shelter ferret named Jester.  He was rescued from a tin shed in
someone's back yard (he had been kept there all summer, possibly longer) To
the best of our knowledge, he was fed Dog Food his entire life.  The owners
stated that he was between 8 and 9 years old, but judging by his teeth, we
put him closer to 5.  He was brought to the shelter and he had vomited
several times in his cage, mostly water and mucousy stuff.  This was the
end of August.  Jester has continued to vomit on a regular basis since this
time.  This happens as few as 3-4 times a day up to almost 20 times a day.
This includes water, food, medicine, everything!!!!  He has also been
plagued with "the runs" off and on.  He is VERY THIN and underweight.  He
eats and drinks like a champ, but just turns around and throws up the
majority of what he eats.  Treatments so far:

1) Pepcid A/C,
2) CBC showing possible early stage insulinoma (glucose 65) and elevated
   globulins (suggesting an infection),
3) two x-ray series, one inconclusive and the other showing a "possible"
   foreign object in his esophagus (directly above his heart) and some gas
   in his intestines.  No blockages were confirmed.
4) Antibiotics for possible infection as well as Albon, for the runs.

He has not had an episode of "the runs" since approx Sept, and his stool is
firm and well formed.  He is able to chew and swallow his food and water
fine, but when it gets to his stomach, it makes really loud gurgling
noises, he paws at his mouth, then he vomits the majority of it back up.
He was put on antibiotics for the possible infection, it was also very hard
for him to keep the medicine down, but we did finish his course.  We are
desperate to help this poor little boy.  Any thoughts or ideas would be
GREATLY appreciated.  We don't want to lose him!!!  The only other course
of action offered to us, is exploratory surgery.  He is NOT a good surgical
candidate, and due to the placement of the "possible" partial blockage,
surgery is a very poor option.  Also, he seems to get the food to his
stomach JUST FINE, it's once it gets there that the problem starts.  He
NEVER gags on his food.

Thanks in advance for your help and please keep Jester in your prayers.
Please e-mail us directly with any response No need to clutter the FML with

Chris and Tara Palaski
Directors, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
Westmoreland County Branch
P.O. Box 724
Greensburg, PA  15601