From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1993 11:36:51 -0500
> Are the pets hurting the efforts to control fleas? Would it make any
> difference if the cat were also confined to a room? If there are mice in the
> house could they be carrying fleas and contributing to the problem?
> Let me know what you think!
> Thank you very much,
>
> Jill

        Well does the cat go outside, or is he house cat?  Fleas can
come in on you, your clothing, sneak threw a crack, or by mouse.  I've
had my hands full since the last time I foster parented for the shelter.
They seem to thrive off ferrets.  When I had a several cats I would get
bit by fleas all the time.  Having two ferrets I've never been bit. I
just got done Boraxing two out of three rooms.  Tonight the ferrets get
a bath and moved to a new room, while I borax the last room.  God I hope
this works.  I am sick of fleas and I'm sure my ferrets are to.  Living in
in Florida has it's draw backs. BIG NUCLEAR POWERED BUGS.

        As for someone saying about their ferret munching on bugs.  We
had a shelter ferret that got put in intensive care over night by eating a
bug.  God and the ferret are the only two who knows what kind of bug it
was though.  My ferrets just kill them and leave them.  Once I found a
scorpion belly up in their water dish.  I don't know how they kill some
of the spiders I've seen.  I would think one of them would have been
spider food buy now. ;-)

> the ferret feces story and decided to test it out...  I dumped some of the
> ferrets' poops out behind the rock garden (the path to and from dinner) and
> some right inside the hidey-hole dug in the rock garden (someone's home, no
> doubt).  I also took an old sleeping towel that was dirty with ferret scent
> and dropped it behind the garage.  I never saw another rat and they did not
> re-appear this year even though the people next door are still slobs with
> their garbage.  This is a single anecdotal piece of evidence, but it's
> certainly worth a try if you have a rodent problem AND a supply of ferret
> feces.
>
> Robbin ([log in to unmask])

        Sounds like someone could make a killing in ferret poop.  All
natural rodent repellent. A sprinkle a day keeps the rodents away. :-O :-)

        Brad, Sebastian and Mako.