From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:22:33 -0500
Here's a twist on ferret dietary preferences.  Mortimer, like many ferrets,
will only eat the meat in kitty kibble.  He won't touch chicken, beef,
whatever.  Mithril, on the other hand, will eat anything, including socks
and underwear.  Seriously, I have never offered her a consumable that she
did not consume.  Sebastian has a completely different philosophy.  He seems
to follow Old Testament dietary restrictions.  Won't touch any meat with
cloven hooves.  He loves chicken and turkey.  He will eat beef on occasion
with a nice sweet barbecue sauce.  But offer him pork--with the same sauce
even!--and he refuses.  We have tried to trick him numerous times.  We'll
try sausage.  We'll try ham.  Every time he backs away, shouting "Infidel!"
It's hilarious.

Oh, sound the trumpets, assemble the populace, Prince Sebastian has mastered
the ancient art of Rolling Over.  He learned it in typical ferret fashion,
that is in between lessons.  One day, I was pushing him down to the floor to
get him started.  The next time we had a lesson, two weeks later, I said
"Roll over," and he did it!  I used raisins to train him.  I read some
ferret book that recommended milk and 8 to 10 hour starvation periods.  I
thought that was bad all around and I'm glad to see that an unstarven ferret
can learn with ordinary treats.  :)

To Tom the Pharmacist: I was going to write you directly, but you're anon.
I recognize your sig quote.  I saw the movie Sunday, and I had almost
stopped having nightmares when I saw your sig at the bottom of the FML.
It's bad enough that I'll be twitching when I hear certain "smooth sounds
from the seventies" for the rest of my life.  *grin shiver* Happy Halloween!

-Catherine Shaffer