From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 10:30:58 -0400
James wrote:
>Subject: Swelling
>I live in the UK, and have 3 ferrets, the oldest of which has developed
>a swollen vaginal entrance (as if she is in heat). She has had the snip
>(when she was young) and she is now about 8 years old. The area generally
>seems a bit wet and slightly yellow in colour (urine coloured for example)
>and she seems a bit slow but other than that she is fine. The vet has
>tried antibiotics and that had no effect at all - can anyone think what
>it could be?  ...
>James Buckle

Hello James!

This sounds like symptoms of adrenal disease for sure- I am NOT a vet,
merely a shelter caretaker with a few years under my belt-- but If the
treatment for vaginal infection has not worked and this is the first
manifestation since spay I would dare to tell you think along adrenal
disease for the treatments more information can be found at
www.ferretcentral.org
please click on the FAQ's and go to Adreneal Disease.

The best treatment I know of for older ferrets here in the US is the use
of Lupron injections, an androgen blocker for human-- check to see if this
might be a treatment option or you in the UK too!

This is the same condition that we see in the US however the ferrets are
usually are much younger when this condition presents itself.  At what age
was your ferret spayed?  We would be most interested.

Hope this information helps,
Alicia
at Ferret Wise Shelter
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html