From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:55:50 EST
I have a question for the vets on this list.  After Carla took the stray
ferret to have the heartworm test done I rememberrd what my vet told me last
year.  I had missed several months/to a half year of heartworm med.  This
was due to money problems at the time.  I asked my vet to do the heartworm
test.  I was told that in order for heartworm to show up on the test my
guys and girl would have to have several large adult heartworms.  I was also
told that by this time they would show signs of heart problems as well.  As
we all know on the list heartworm isn't very easy to cure in a ferret.  So I
guess my question would be, should you have heartworm test done on ferrets
that seem to have a healthy and strong heart.  Also at what point and time
would heartworm show up on a test.  And the last one wich is the best method
to use to detect heartworm in ferrets.  Opps lots of questions on just one.

        Thanks, from the gang.