From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:44:09 -0400
Not sure if this is "old news" - but this came through one of my animal
welfare groups regarding a bizarre situation where a dog was glued to
his plastic carrier due to an application of Advantage. I believe the
data is less than 2 weeks old.

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=14061

Seems the culprit is benzyl alcohol.

Not sure which other flea/tick topical formulas include benzyl alcohol -
but suspect a few might, as my dog's Heartguard has an alcohol base.

Knowing some folks use these meds on ferrets, forewarned is forearmed.

Again, this sounds like a very rare set of circumstances . . .

Ann Gruden
Ferret Assn of CT