Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 03:01:42 -0800
This is truly a very sad situation for so many reasons. Doug not only
breeds ferrets but runs a mink pelting operation as well. I hate to put
this visual in to our minds but it does make one wonder if the ferrets
he breeds aren't being pelted as well. As a cousin to the ferret, mink
are very near and dear to my heart. I know folks that have them and
have had the privilege to meet a very very special boy and in just two
meetings has become a piece of my heart and soul. I have not been to
the farm but have heard horror stories from some very reliable folks. I
have no reason whatsoever to doubt the reports. Even sadder is that it
has gone on for so many years.

What Lori is attempting is a noble effort. I don't know Lori either but
we have talked at great length this weekend. I beleieve her heart is
in the right place but the reality of pulling this off and stopping
the breeding is quite something else for many reasons...financial....
logistics.... available homes, shelters,....etc. It would literally
take the efforts of rescues across the U.S....and possibly then some.

I can imagine any animal lover witnessing the conditions on this farm
would lead them to do anything in their power to save all of these
precious lives and shut down the farm. At this hour I myself lay in
the comfort of my warm living room watching the shadows of my furry
companions scurry through the house drinking clean water, crunching on
kibble and returning to the security of their cuddly sacks and sleeping
quarters......and Dasher on the dining room table...AGAIN....hahah. but
that is their nature isn't it...and the reason we love them and we as
rescuers arrogantly beleive we can save the world....thank God for the
rescuers huh?

Let's define however, stopping at nothing. Will you involve extremist
groups like PETA ? Groups that will launch midnight raids and release
all the animals into an environment where they have less of a chance at
surviving, unable to fend for themselves? That's not really the answer.
Even if you could raise the money to spring them all...which currently
stands at approximately $35,000.00,... you are just enabling the
farmer, putting money in his pocket...this would save the ferrets he
has,.but not shut him down.

What about the local animal control authorities? I understand they are
useless in the situation as well....and I am all too familiar with how
they do not work. So here we are with our backs against the wall.
Authorities unwilling to get involved,....unavailable funds and animals
in horrendous conditions. What is the answer? Here's MY answer. IF it
were possible to do so without any harm coming to the animals and
landing your asses in jail (you can't do the animals any good from a
jail cell now can you)...raid the place,....do whatever it takes and
take out every single animal ferrets AND mink and let nothing stand in
your way providing no harm comes to the McKay family either...get the
ferrets vetted and into homes,...get the mink into a wildlife rehab
that has a suitable habitat....a semi outdoor situation may work but
one that provides shelter, bedding...get the mink altered and let them
live out their lives. ..does this brand me as an "extremist". Give it
any politically correct term you want,...I don't see any way else
around it if the actions are all in the best interest of the animals
AND shuts down the farm, I'm all about it. ........ but is this really
the best solution? I don't know. Sorry to be sounding like Switzerland
right now but I've been up half the night with nightmares about animals
so I'm a little slotched in the head right now,...not to mention a
migraine to beat the band and two cats perched on my back side carrying
on like nuts.

All I really know, is what I can do. I can only offer what I can which
is not very much at this point but will hopefully be the answer if
every one of us follows suit. We can all take on one more......brings
back memories of a poem I wrote a few years ago....Just One More...it's
in the archives...we can all commit to one and with the assistance of
Ferrets Across America, maybe transport can be arranged to get these
ferrets into the homes they deserve. Bear in mind folks that these
are not the kissy little pets we know and love...they will have
issues, some are severe biters,..they will need patience and love and
rehabilitation, but maybe, just maybe if we all pull together and we
can all help just one,..we can make a difference.

Lori, I know it doesn't sound like much, but you can put me down for
one, even if it's a pregnant mama...I have experience with the mamas,
the biters.....I'll also take a few neutered males but that's the best
I can do right now.

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.