From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 07:19:43 -0800
Note: as this concerns ferret as well as human safety, I thought it
appropriate to post here:

Well, I just had a frightening wake up call!  After getting to sleep at
3:30am, I awoke at 6:30 am today smelling exhaust fumes!  The truck sitting
next to me was idling to get the ice off his windshield, and I was smelling
his exhaust fumes even though my windows were closed.  It's not supposed to
happen, but somehow my furnace was sucking in the outside air.  After I was
awake enough to start thinking, I checked on my eight ferrets and two cats,
and every one's breathing ok, as in alive.  I had then, since the truck
pulled away, opened the windows to air out the place, & turned on electric
heaters so as not to freeze (strange thing to say in Arizona, but it's in
the 30's this morning).

I called the factory which just opened, and the best we can figure is that
the last time the furnace was serviced, it may not have been pushed in
against a rubber seal far enough to seal out the outside air.  The added
danger is that it may be sucking in the furnace combustion fumes that
exhaust to the outside.  IT is a modern design that also uses outside air
for the combustion chamber, so the two should not mix, but this maby was a
good warning to have it inspected.  The Winnebago factory man was very nice
in saying to have my local dealer call them for technical help if they need
to.  The guy who's name is Todd recognized my voice from last year when I
thought Timmy was maby stuck in the dash when he actually got outside & was
recovered safely, but Todd at the time faxed me blueprints so I could tear
apart the dash area if I had to.  That's pretty good for over a year ago!

So let this be a reminder for everyone to get those furnaces checked out so
one day you and the ferrets don't get gassed from carbon monoxide fumes.
When I lived in Chicago I remember almost each year someone dying from a
faulty heater of some kind.  Guess I better get a carbon monoxide detector,
this year motor home was the last year made without them being standard
equipment.  It's probably a good idea to have one in the regular home to
warn of any such problem too.

I'm supprised I'm this awake with three hours sleep, but my heart was
pounding either with fright or reaction to the fumes.  I turned on the light
and shook the raisin can to make sure everyone was ok, and gave a treat for
waking them all up.  My new kitty Kila was rubbing against me & meowing all
the time, so I said if she was trying to warn me, good kitty!

I have the sense that the Great Spirit or maby even chance happening was
functioning to warn me, as a truck exhaust is more "smelly" than a furnace
combustion, so I awoke from the truck fumes where the more "clean" furnace
fumes could have been fatal.  I will not ignore the warning, however it
came, and since I already have an appointment to fix the water heater on
Thursday, I will have them check out the furnace, and will get that carbon
monoxide detector later today, after I hope to get a few more hours of
sleep!

Please profit from my experience and get those heaters checked out & cleaned
if necessary, and consider a carbon monoxide detector, they cost less than a
fraction of what they could save.  Every year there are whole families that
die from this problem in "regular" homes, you don't have to live in a motor
home to have this danger present.  I think in most areas if you call the
local gas company they will check the furnace for this danger for free, at
least long ago the company in Chicago would do so.

Give your family an extra hug, both two and four legged, and be thankful you
all awoke ok today, somewhere a family may not have.

Sincerely, Gary & the furry family, who I thank God & his helpers
that we're all ok.

Violence is not strength,  Compassion is not weakness.    From Camelot.