From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:34:26 EST
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>With ferret kits, they have strange mouth set ups.  The nipple is designed
>to be inserted into the mouth and go to the back of the throat.

This is the same as most young mammals.  Based on all that I've read about
these newborn kits, I think it would be like raising a cross between an
opossum and a squirrel.  I am referring to size, amount to feed, feeding
frequency, type of mouth (opossums don't even have completely open mouths
for about a month), type of housing for optimum warmth, etc.  Once these
babies are a couple weeks old, they can probably be raised more like
skunks.  Once they are 4-5 weeks old, things should be fairly easy.

>I had two 3 week old kits that would not use a bottle or syringe, so I
>used a tube (inserted into the stomach) to feed them.  They did super well
>with that and at about 4 weeks took to a bottle and tried mush food.  I
>have never tried tube feeding with newborns.

I would think tube-feeding is the way to go with newborns up to the point
where they will voluntarily take a syringe or nipple.  If my experience
with wildlife follows with ferrets, then this would be highly variable
depending on the individual.  Considering the size of baby ferrets, I would
think a number 3 1/2 red rubber catheter would work just fine for feeding
newborns.  That is the smallest I have ever been able to get and is the
smallest I've used.  I have used this on newborn rabbits, tiny opossums,
etc.  It works fine.

>We have information on ZooLogic for ferrets.  It is a combination of two
>different formulas mixed together.  I will post the info when I dig it up!
>It was given to me at a ferret show some years back.

Please do!  This is the one formula that I am missing and could really use!!

>>There is also a new Benebac-like product available for newborn baby
>>animals who did not receive colostrum.

>Do you know what this is?  As Bill, said - this may be a leading problem.

I have some at home.  I will post the name of it when I return from my
vacation.

>>From:    Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
>>The following information is from "Rehabilitation of North American Wild
>>Mammals: Feeding and Nutrition" by Debbie Marcum.

>Wow!  This sounds like a great book - can it be purchased at a local
>bookstore?  What other kinds of information does it have in it?

No.  It is only available to wildlife rehabbers.  Most of the info in this
book would not be of use to anyone else.  There is NOTHING ferret-specific
in it.  It is a fantastic book for rehabbers (and the first book I would
suggest for rehabbers to buy!!)

>Speaking of electrolytes ... when I was training horses, we used to give
>the show horses electrolytes in thier water.  It was a powder that you
>mixed with water.  It is made by Farnam and comes in different flavors -
>orange, cherry & apple.  Any idea if it is safe for ferrets?  If mixed
>differently - as the mixing instructions are for horses.  Any ideas?  I
>know it is much cheaper than Pedialyte and keeps for more than 24 hours.

There are powders available for dogs and cats too.  All (including the
horse electrolyte powder) are fine for ferrets and most mammals and birds.

>I have always been told that ferret kits need to be fed on the hour.

Probably more often than necessary.  I have never had an animal that needed
to be fed that often.  Tubing makes the feeding go much faster too.

>Another really interesting thing is that ferret kits have "transparent"
>bellies.  You can actually see the milk in there.  It is really neat.

Same as with very young baby squirrels and opossums.

>Do you know where you can get the tubes?  The really tiny ones?  My vet
>gave me two medium sized ones, but I am hoping there are smaller ones.

Your vet should be able to get number 3 1/2 French red rubber catheters.

Kim