From:
"Todd P. Cromwell III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:03:08 -0700
NOT CAGING: A year or two ago I posted the case for not caging ferrets
(issue 1937), in response to those who claimed "there is no reason for not
caging your ferrets."  Add to my points the small point that "scratching in
their cage endlessly" wouldn't happen if you don't cage your ferrets.

Rest assured that I am aware this is a contentious issue with no clear
majority, and that the decision is a personal one, often influenced by
number of members in the house who will not look out for ferrets.

INTOLERANCE TO POINT OF INACCURACY: There are people on the list and in the
ferret community who are rather intolerant of others, and who will stretch
their points to inaccuracy to make the point.  Examples: I have been told
in stern terms that figure-8 harnesses choke ferrets; I have used them for
6 or 7 years twice a week every week to take my ferrets on long walks in
the woods and not once have my ferrets shown the least sign of choking (or
escaping from the harness).  The cage-fanciers often overstate their case,
saying (and writing) as if there is no alternative to caging.  There are
those who cannot tolerate Ed Lipinski's approaches, yet his ferrets are
indeed healthy, hearty, and happy (I live 3 miles from him, so I have seen
them; all of my ferrets have been his, and some of the vets here echo that
they are pleased to see Lipinski ferrets being distributed in the area).
While scruffing and pushing up the nose are both great alternatives to
nose-flicking for biting, the anti-nose-flickers overstate their case.

Several have pointed out that if ferret fanciers overstate their cases to
various government agencies and to citizens, we will injure our
credibility.  As my friend Dennis has pointed out, if we look more
reasonable and rational to non-ferret-aware, we win, in the end.

I am not saying anything goes, but rather that people need to have a
thicker skin, in my opinion, and also show a little more tolerance.
Express your opinion, but people are not necessarily monsters who
don't agree exactly with your approach.

I would rather not make enemies in our own ranks with the large enemies of
ignorance and anti-ferret sentiment on which to concentrate.  We have
enough enemies.

For those worried about carpet damage and digging, I post yet again, try
chicken wire or rectangular mesh u-nailed into the carpet; it sinks into
the carpet and is not very visible.  For sometimes-dig spots, a simple row
of straight, small-head (to prevent danger of catching) nails sticking up
(heads exposed, not points, of course) from the carpet will prevent digging
(though more risky for your feet).

Todd Cromwell III, WA State, Dantes and Dors