From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:05:05 -0700
>From:    Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Chicago Show
>it's very possible that the show would have been able to finish inside,
>and on time, had the judges taken their rings when they were first
>asked to.

As one of the judges (but one who finished on time) thats probably not the
case.  There was a mix up and on when the show was supposed to start and
when the ferrets would get there.  Its pointless for us to be sitting to
judge when there are no ferrets to judge.

>Well, was he solid and muscular or was he overweight?
[...]
>O.K.  Is she petite?  Pudgy?  Well proportioned?  I mean...if I would
>like her to do better next year, which judge do I believe?

Those also are not mutually exclusive.  He could be a muscular boy with
a little pudge (a ferret like bill [or Bill the moderator :-) BIG] the
judge - sturdy with sa bit extra belly) She could be a small jill that was
proportioned for her size except for a bit of fat on the belly.  The most
senior judge is ring 1.  The least senior judge is ring three.  So if you
want to go by judge's experience levels, start from the lowest numbers.

This is not the forum for me to answer your questions.  I can answer them
but not here.  I wish you had brought those questions to me at the show,
I would have made the time.  I will respond to email but there are some
things I may not say though I would like to (not about you, Judy)

>Second, my son overheard one of the judges say something to the effect
>that he/she saw "maybe" 3 decent ferrets all day, the others were Pfffttt!

Since I too heard that comment and strongly disagree with its being made
and the sentiment behind it, I brought it up with the Judge's
administrator.  That was not professional and offended me as much as it
did you.  It was wrong to another judge's ears!  All ten that got ribbons
in my ring deserved them.  And many others that did not were also quite
nice.  There was no shortage of worthy ferrets!  I've judged that show for
three years running and the specialties there before that.  If you remember
I had said (and meant) that in the time I've been judging out there the
quality and preparedness of the ferrets has greatly improved.

>I have one more criticism, but I have written a formal complaint to the
>AFA and, in all fairness, will wait for their reply before posting
>anything here.

I know your comment but can not comment here at this point.  I also wish
you had brought that question up at the show.  In that case, first to the
judge in question, then to the judge in seat #1 and then to the judge's
administrator who is Sally Heber.  She was standing around waiting for the
judge's to finish and would have addressed your questions.  Your issue has
been received, but all scoring sheets are still in Chicago so a reply will
wait until they come east.  Not an official acknowledgement - I just know
it was received.

>Subject: White Russian and the Chicago Show

We judges apparently liked him as well.

>I just wish Charmin' Charlie hadn't just had surgery...he's such a
>wonderful boy, too.

Agreed.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Chicago Ferret Show Judging-or Butt Sniffing
>The judges held on to each ferret for a really long time.  They do not
>cuddle or kiss or play with the ferrets.

You weren't watching carefully.  But we aren't paid to just play with the
ferrets.  We have other things we have to get done.  But playing with them
is part of the evaluation.  A playful ferret scores better as that is part
of the defined standard.  Kissing a ferret you don't know is a bad idea.
Pierced lips are not fun.

>The awards seem to be for the people really.

Of course they are.  Well sort of.  All of our ribbons from over the years
are just in a bag for the ferrets to play with.

>My guys would not enjoy being examined for such a long time as I see the
>judges scrutinizing each ferret.

That is our job.  Its not supposed to be a raffle for the ribbons and
trophies.  Nor are they supposed to be awarded randomly.

>Besides, with two deaf sillys, two ferrets with cancer, two biters- and
>all but one of my guys being either an abandoned, starving, or extremely
>sick animal I rescued---I would not allow a stranger to hold my ferret
>for such a long time without me there to talk to it or touch it.

Thats fine if you have that opinion.  But don't underestimate your ferrets
so much.  The winner of two of the alter rings (including mine) which won
that ferret the best alter trophy and even the best in show trophy was a
shelter ferret.  The most award ferret of the day!

A LOT of shelter ferrets go through, and a good number of them win.  They
aren't the ferrets that seem most upset about having very experienced
ferret people cuddle them while checking them out.  The only part they
usually don't like is the tooth checking.  I always apologize to them as
I do that.

bill (and some diane)