From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:57:48 -0400
First off, I am posting anonymously because of the scathing nature of
previous replies on this topic.  These are merely my opinions and I
don't expect everyone to agree, but I also don't expect flames.

I agree completely with Kat.  I have been owned by ten ferrets altogether
and have six right now.  Of the ten ferrets who have lived with me, four
have been rescues.  Two from a neighbor whose daughter was pregnant and
moving - she decided not to take them with her.  The ferrets had been
kept in a very small cage and had not been let out to play on a daily
basis - if at all!  We brought them home (these were the very first two
ferrets I had) and gave them a large cage, plenty of food and water, at
least two hours of play time each and every day, and trips to the vet.
No, I am not a shelter.  But yes, these two were rescues.  As Kat said,
there is a difference.

Two years ago, I was looking for a young kit from a pet store (I know,
but sometimes, you just need the joy of a kit after losing a much beloved
older ferret).  I didn't come home with a kit.  I came home with a pair
who had been abandoned at the front door of the pet store because the
owners didn't have time for them anymore.  Again, they are rescues and
always will be.

Rescue takes alot out of you.  Rescues often are rescues in the first
place because people don't want to (or can't) deal with their pets
illnesses or the time they require to care for each day.  One of the
above mentioned rescues was only with us for 1 year and four months due
to an illness.  We made sure he knew that he was loved in his new home
and took care of him until he left for the Bridge.

I will continue to rescue as I can.  I think that we all should.  There
are just too many unwanted pets.  I do my best not to fall victim to
ferret math.  I do my best to save a little each month just in case.  I
am not a collector - I have found that six is a good number for me and I
have stuck firmly to that.  Taking into account time and money spent, if
my situation changes the number of ferrets in my care may also change.
Unless you know the situation in detail of any given individual posting
here, I don't feel that you have any right to judge the individual.  The
questions put to the rescuer who was branded a collector were bitter and
not called for.  This list should be used for sharing and education.
Not for personal attacks.

A Ferret Lover and Her Six Fuzzies (One is a Rescue)