From:
Greta Hoisington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:23:26 EST
After reading your posts about the conditions at various Petco stores,
I decided to relate my experience to you.  A couple of years ago, my
daughter took me to her Petco store in Chicago to purchase a new kit
for me for my birthday.  The store had just received a new shipment of
adorable kits in every color imagineable.  I noticed the kits had a 'big
brother' who was at least twice the size of his cagemates.  The ferrets
were housed in a large glass enclosure which was very clean.  There was
plenty of food, water, bedding and toys for the 'cage' inhabitants.

When I reached in for a tiny dark sable kit to inspect him, Big Brother
scrambled up my arm and onto my shoulder as if he wanted me to choose
Him.  I cuddled the little guy for a while and then set him down again,
reaching once more for the tinier kit.  Big Brother had other ideas.  Up
my arm he went again, insisting I take him home with me.  After a few
repeats of BB's performance, the store clerk said, "He does that with all
our customers.  No one will buy him because he's so frisky."

That settled it.  I couldn't leave this obviously healthy, active little
guy behind not knowing what would happen to him.  BB had long unbroken
whiskers, a pink nose and pink paw pads.  He was bursting with energy,
bright eyed and didn't once offer to bite or nip me.  His coat of fur
was luxurious.  All these are signs of a healthy ferret.  I picked up
BB, cuddled him in my arms and told him I was going to be his mommy now.
"Your name is Tatonka," I said and I belong to you."

Both the clerk who was waiting on us and the fellow at the checkout
counter were so obviously relieved that this little rascal had found a
loving home, it was touching.  Tatonka's name has been shortened to TT
now.  It just seems to fit him better.  I can say only good things about
this Petco store.  It's sad that all their stores are not run as well.

Cordially,
Greta Hoisington