From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:45:40 -0500
Another NJ shelter which is in the right area for the missing ferret:
1-201-836-8682.

>I was incharge of a Botanical Garden for 14 year and a list like this can
>be made up by anyone with the slightest botanical knowledge of plants.

Well, that makes me feel better about a similar (but not identical) list
I put together as a non-professional!  Glad to know that someone who
knows the topic had one that showed me to not be too far off the mark.  I
got searching yesterday and found multiple interesting and useful lists
with info about accidental poisoning.  It is so good that people think
about these things!  It wasn't that many years ago that the warning lists
out there were only the ones unknowing folks like me who are outsiders or
hobbyists cobbled together from references, so improvements from folks
like you who know the topic are a marvelous thing!

Some Mottos (ones I didn't give before):

Seven of Six: You have to give me so many meds that I will make you feel
very guilty and use that guilt as much as I can, so there!

Glueball: Me, me, me , me!  Thank you!  Oh, thank you!

Sherman: I roll over for treats, treats, treats... Did I mention treats?

You know, I was just wondering if ferrets today may get less exercise and
be more inclined to be fed enough to be dangerously overweight than the
ones we had decades ago.  EACH of these is a serious contributor to poor
health in other species, so may or may not pan out as such for ferrets.

I still suspect that the differences possibly seen between some foreign
ferrets and some U.S. ones may be more genetics from when fancies from
fur farms were added and overwhelmed the breeding stock and due to
infectious diseases perhaps setting the stages for some illnesses, partly
based on the differences that we saw years ago in U.S. ferrets which --
if reports on each are accurate -- were more like the health profiles
seen now in parts of Europe compared to much current U.S. stock.

Linda mentioned Omega Fatty Acids yesterday, and I was thinking that
we really do not know if fish may have been more important to ferrets
in their original locations (places like the coasts or river-sides of
Barbary Coast, Greece, and Italy possibly being among those according to
writing by Theirry Lode (sp), a prof who has greatly studied them.).  It
could be that they had a long history with such foods also being in their
diets before being moved to other areas as mousers... (Twilight Zone
music inserted here since it's an unknown.)

There is no problem in awaiting actual proof of longer lives or of
improved health with proposed changes.  It's actually what many here
await.  Some concepts pan out, and some don't.  That is just life.
Each of us has to just learn and make our own choices on things that
aren't yet known and not get upset with those whose choices differ.